These vegan BBQ sandwiches tastes so much like the real deal, even your carnivore friends won’t miss the meat.
- 1 14.5 oz. can of Hearts of Palm (drained and pulsed several times in a food processor)
- 4 gluten-free/vegan hamburger buns
- Red cabbage, shredded
Homemade BBQ sauce (or use 1 1/2 c. store-bought BBQ sauce of choice):
- 1/2 small yellow onion, minced
- 1/2 jalapeno, deseeded and minced
- 1/3 c. tomato paste
- 1/2 c. water
- 1/4 c. red wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp. ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp. liquid smoke (start with half of that, taste and add more as you see fit)
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, sauté the onions and jalapeno until lightly golden.
- Add the rest of the ingredients for the BBQ sauce into the saucepan and whisk together until completely combined.
- Bring to a simmer over low heat and allow to cook for 10 minutes, continuously stirring.
- While the BBQ sauce is simmering, add the chopped up hearts of palm into the saucepan. Stir together until completely coated and heated up (approx. 2-3 minutes).
- Slather onto rolls of choice and enjoy with the toppings that suite your preference (I used shredded red cabbage and lettuce).