- 1½ c. Cara’s Light GF Flour Blend (or use store bought)*
- ¾ c. granulated sugar
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. xanthan gum (omit if using a gf flour mix with it already included)
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ¾ c. nondairy milk
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ c. vegetable oil
For the Frosting:
- ¼ c.nondairy butter
- ¼ c. non-hydrogenated shortening
- 2½ c. powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp. nondairy milk
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
For the Puppy face:
- 10 mini store bought gf cookies (I used Home Free)
- 10 dark chocolate discs (I found these at Whole Foods)
- 20 homemade googly eyes
- 20 Narin’s cookies (these are gluten free and vegan and can be found at a specialty store)
- 20 red hots
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with 8-10 cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Add all of the wet ingredients together and mix with a wooden spoon until a batter forms. Your batter should resemble a pancake batter. On the thicker side but not too runny.
- Pour the batter into the cupcake liners and bake for 15-20 mins. The baking time will vary based off of your oven but you will know they are ready when you touch the tops and they are firm.
- For the frosting, with an electric mixer, whip up the shortening and buttah together until fluffy. Add the powdered sugar ½ cup at a time. It will be clumpy.
- Add the vanilla and nondairy milk until nice and fluffy. If too runny add a tablespoon of powdered sugar until firm and fluffy. Add a tsp of nonmilk at a time if too stiff.
- Make sure the cupcakes are completely cool before you frost them. Simply take a spatula, add a good heaping of frosting and smooth it down, leaving an indention in the middle. Add sprinkles on top. FROSTING TIPS: If you have troubles with spreading the frosting without taking the tops of the cupcakes off, try dipping the back of a spatula with warm water before spreading and/or freeze the cupcakes for 15 minutes prior to frosting. This will keep it from sticking to the frosting and break up the cupcake.
- Assemble the puppy face.
*Please note that if you do use a store bought flour blend, make sure that it is a rice-based blend. Also, be mindful of the liquid absorption discrepancies due to the different flours used so you might need to alter the amount of liquid needed. This is always an issue when you sub out ingredients.
- Serving Size: For 1 Cupcake
- Calories: 415
- Sugar: 30g
- Sodium: 185mg
- Fat: 18g
- Carbohydrates: 54g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 3g