I have been so excited to share with you this recipe. I’m telling you, as these googly eyes were setting for the past 24 hours, I kept walking past them and giggling with pure delight. I kept asking them, “Are you looking at me? Are YOU looking at ME?” It never gets old…
The great thing about making your own homemade vegan googly eyes is that not only do you now have something to decorate your upcoming Halloween treats with but mainly because the goggly eyes sold in stores are actually made with gelatin. And if you are someone who is trying to avoid animal products, how on earth are you supposed to eye-ball your cupcakes and cookies this holiday season??? See the predicament! Eye got you covered (snickering…)
Now let me answer your question as you review the recipe ingredients. Corn syrup? Really?! Yes really. It helps with the texture and firmness of the eyes. Don’t want to use it? Omit it but don’t yell at me if they aren’t as cute as mine. Don’t want to use cornstarch either? Omit and sub in arrowroot powder. Again, you were warned.
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. corn syrup
- 2 tsp. nondairy milk
- ¼ tsp. almond extract (or vanilla extract)
- mini nondairy chocolate chips (like Enjoy Life)
- Whisk together the powdered sugar and cornstarch. Add the remainder ingredients except for the chocolate chips and mix until combined. It should be a thick paste at this point.
- Place into either a piping bag or Ziploc baggie and pipe dots into one row onto a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Gently top each dot with the mini chocolate chip--you don't want to wait too long to place the chocolate chip in the middle or it will set.
- Repeat until all the paste is gone.
- Allow the googly eyes to set for at least 24 hours on your counter.
Okay now you have every reason to make your baked goods scream, “I’m watching you!” I cannot wait to see what you eye-ball.
This post is a part of the month-long of vegan food blogger event known as Vegan MoFo.
Interested in seeing other fabulous posts? Click here.