They’re silly. They’re easy to make. And best of all, they’re allergen-free. No nuts, no gluten, no soy…nada. Just green apples, sunflower butter, sunflower seeds, a strawberry tongue, and a batch of homemade googly eyes (this is always optional but 100% recommended). The great part about making these eyes is that you will have a ton leftover and with Halloween approaching shortly, these babies preserve rather well and get you through the holiday season better than you ever imagined! Just store them in an air-tight container and they are good to go. They boost these simple apple snacks into silly apple bites. I’ll have seconds!
Make snacking fun by turning regular apples into silly apple bites. Your kids will be begging for more and you won’t help but smile at that fun creation you just made with your two hands!
- 2 green apples, each quartered
- sunflower butter
- 32 sunflower seeds
- 2-3 strawberries, sliced
- 1-2 homemade googly eyes per apple bite
- Cut the middles out of each quarter of the apple to create a mouth. Don't worry about perfection, you are filling this gap with sunbutter anyway so if you cut too deep, you can always just cover it up and no one will know.
- Coat the inside of the cut gap with a filling of sunflower butter.
- Place 4 sunflower seeds on the top of the "mouth" for the teeth.
- Place 1 sliced strawberry inside the mouth for the tongue.
- "Glue" each eye above the mouth with a dab of sunbutter to stick.
- Serve with a smile.
Bring the kid back out of you and indulge in a bite or two with your children. Be careful though, they might not want to share so I recommend, “Hey what’s that?!” tactic and as they look away, grab a silly apple bite and run as fast as you can before they figure out what hit them.