Watermelons are starting to pop their pretty little heads up in the grocery stores (yay for seasonal produce!) and it’s time to find as many creative ways to eat up this fruit before it leaves us at the end of the summer and we have to wait another year. And since no one (I know of) can turn down a donut, why not try to make them a little easier to make, a little prettier to look at, and a lotta healthier to eat when you turn them into Watermelon Donuts?!
The fun and healthy twist to these donuts (beside using fresh fruit) is the icing. Where the normal donut icing if full of sugar, butter, shortening, more sugar, and whatever else that makes it taste so darn good, these Watermelon Donuts are covered with: dairy free whipped cream. Coconut cream, to be exact, that has been chilled in the fridge overnight and whipped up with one teaspoon of vanilla extract and that is it! A delicious and healthy pairing with watermelon. And sprinkles too. Can’t forget the sprinkles.
- 1 small watermelon, cut into 1½" slices
- 1 14 oz. can of coconut cream, chilled overnight
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- sprinkles or toppings of choice
- Round biscuit cutter (mine is 2⅝")
- Fondant mini circle cutter
- Using a biscuit cutter, make circles out of the watermelon slices. Using the fondant circle, make holes in the middle of each "donut." See the video on how I did it.
- Place the chilled coconut cream (I use cream because it tends to be more stiff that coconut milk but you can use coconut milk that has been chilled instead if you'd like) into a bowl, separating the solid cream from the liquid. Discard the liquid.
- On medium speed, use an electric mixer for a couple of minutes until fluffy. Add vanilla extract and whip up another couple of seconds.
- Spoon the coconut cream onto the tops of the donuts. If you have extra coconut cream leftover, store in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Garnish with sprinkles or whatever toppings you'd like.
Check out my quick 60 second video tutorial on how I made these fun Watermelon Donuts:
With only THREE ingredients, these Watermelon Donuts are the perfect treat this summer for the kids. You just cut, ice, and sprinkle. That’s all you have to do for these sweet yet hydrating donuts.
Looking for more ideas using fresh fruit for a healthier snack? What about these: