- 1 (15 oz) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained, half mashed with the back of a fork
- 1/4 yellow onion, minced
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1/4 c. red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 c. my homemade BBQ sauce or use store bought
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 4 gluten free hamburger buns, lightly toasted
For the silly face:
- 8 toothpicks
- 8 green olives
- 4 cornichons
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, saute the onion, carrots and bell peppers with vegetable oil until they are soft (approx 5 minutes).
- Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, BBQ sauce, salt and brown sugar. Mix well. Bring the mixture to a boil and then simmer uncovered on medium-low heat for 15 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Add more salt and pepper at this point, if needed.
- Add the BBQ chickpeas inside each toasted bun.
- For the face, secure 2 green olives to the top of each bun with toothpicks, and add the cornichon in between.
- Serving Size: 1 BBQ Sloppy Joe
- Calories: 416
- Sugar: 15.5g
- Sodium: 627mg
- Fat: 5.9g
- Carbohydrates: 75.2g
- Fiber: 14.2g
- Protein: 17.5g