I have been dying to create this recipe for a while now since it popped into my head months ago and planned for it onto my calendar. I was so super excited (like, spirit fingers excited) when it all came together perfectly…I love me a good gluten-free vegan recreation of a favorite! Now that I am really trying to eat a more “clean” diet, I have begun to find sheer delight in making everything I can from scratch–I am even now canning the canned beans and am learning the art of cooking dried beans. So making a BBQ sauce from scratch made perfect sense and then to combine it with chopped up Hearts of Palm to recreate a shredded BBQ “pork” sandwich–I knew a winner was created. Hearts of Palm has become a personal favorite as a great base with recipes like this and this so I knew I was on the right track.
Sandwich this barbeque pulled hearts of palm “meat” between a gluten-free vegan hamburger bun and you have yourself the most perfect summer sandwich on earth. Ever. Of all time. Exaggerating a little? Maybe.
If you do not have a local bakery that makes amazing allergen-friendly buns, I suggest a few things. First, check your grocery store for Shar products. They have really cool gluten-free vegan ciabatta rolls that work perfectly for this recipe. If you don’t have access to that, Shirley of Gluten-Free Easily put up an awesome round-up for tons of ideas for gluten-free hamburger and hot dog buns. You can find that post here distributing out all of the links here. Not all of them aren’t vegan but there are a few that are.
- 1 14.5 oz. can of Hearts of Palm (drained and pulsed several times in a food processor)
- 4 gluten-free/vegan hamburger buns
- Red cabbage, shredded
- ½ small yellow onion, minced
- ½ jalapeno, deseeded and minced
- ⅓ c. tomato paste
- ½ c. water
- ¼ c. red wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp. ground mustard
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp. smoked paprika
- ⅛ tsp. liquid smoke (start with half of that, taste and add more as you see fit)
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, sauté the onions and jalapeno until lightly golden.
- Add the rest of the ingredients for the BBQ sauce into the saucepan and whisk together until completely combined.
- Bring to a simmer over low heat and allow to cook for 10 minutes, continuously stirring.
- While the BBQ sauce is simmering, add the chopped up hearts of palm into the saucepan. Stir together until completely coated and heated up (approx. 2-3 minutes).
- Slather onto rolls of choice and enjoy with the toppings that suite your preference (I used shredded red cabbage and lettuce).
I actually ended up eating this for lunch however I skipped the bun and threw it into a salad and it was so good, I wish I had made more. The perfect companion to fresh veggies, the possibilities are endless.
Do you recognize those pickles below? They are from this recent post of my Easy Pickled Veggies recipe. Hip hip hooray everyone for cameos. Never eat a sandwich without a pickle. That is my motto for life.
I guarantee you that even the meat eaters will be asking for seconds so Happy BBQing friends!