I have been dying to create this recipe for a while now since it popped into my head months ago and planned for it onto my calendar. I was so super excited (like, spirit fingers excited) when it all came together perfectly…I love me a good gluten-free vegan recreation of a favorite! Now that I am really trying to eat a more “clean” diet, I have begun to find sheer delight in making everything I can from scratch–I am even now canning the canned beans and am learning the art of cooking dried beans. So making a BBQ sauce from scratch made perfect sense and then to combine it with chopped up Hearts of Palm to recreate a shredded BBQ “pork” sandwich–I knew a winner was created. Hearts of Palm has become a personal favorite as a great base with recipes like this and this so I knew I was on the right track.
Sandwich this barbeque pulled hearts of palm “meat” between a gluten-free vegan hamburger bun and you have yourself the most perfect summer sandwich on earth. Ever. Of all time. Exaggerating a little? Maybe.
If you do not have a local bakery that makes amazing allergen-friendly buns, I suggest a few things. First, check your grocery store for Shar products. They have really cool gluten-free vegan ciabatta rolls that work perfectly for this recipe. If you don’t have access to that, Shirley of Gluten-Free Easily put up an awesome round-up for tons of ideas for gluten-free hamburger and hot dog buns. You can find that post here distributing out all of the links here. Not all of them aren’t vegan but there are a few that are.
- 1 14.5 oz. can of Hearts of Palm (drained and pulsed several times in a food processor)
- Recipe for homemade BBQ sauce (see below) or use 1½ c. store-bought BBQ sauce of choice.
- 4 gluten-free/vegan hamburger buns
- Toppings of choice
- While the BBQ sauce is simmering, add the chopped up hearts of palm into the saucepan. Stir together until completely coated and heated up (approx. 2-3 minutes).
- Slather onto rolls of choice and enjoy with the toppings that suite your preference (I used shredded red cabbage and lettuce).
- ½ small yellow onion, minced
- ½ jalapeno, deseeded and minced
- ⅓ c. tomato paste
- ½ c. water
- ¼ c. red wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp. ground mustard
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp. smoked paprika
- ⅛ tsp. liquid smoke (start with half of that, taste and add more as you see fit)
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat sauté the onions and jalapeno until lightly golden.
- Add the rest of the ingredients into the saucepan and whisk together until completely combined.
- Bring to a simmer over low heat and allow to cook for 10 minutes, continuously stirring.
I guarantee you that even the meat eaters will be asking for seconds so Happy BBQing friends!