Oh are we having a flippin’ Cinco de Mayo party over here or what?! You know if it’s going to be good when the festivities begin two weeks BEFORE the celebratory date). But we have preparations to do, friends, like with these Shredded Hearts of Palm Soft Tacos!
There is vegan Queso Dip to be made, tomatoes for salsa to roast, onions to chop, jalapenos to slice and place into margaritas, and hearts of palm to rip to pieces with our fingers and stuff into corn tortillas. Yup, that’s right. Hearts of Palm has made another guest appearance. I am over-the-moon with it! With at least three more fun dinner recipes using this super creative, super fun food in the near future, hearts of palm makes me want to squeal with delight.
So let’s talk about the shredded look. All you are going to do with the hearts of palm is pull those boogers apart with your fingers.
Due to the fibrous exterior of the hearts of palm, it will take a little more time with that section however the middle is super easy and falls off like buttah. *ahem* Non-dairy buttah, of course. Simply shred the vegetable with your fingers to create that shredded meat look.
And to make this an even quicker meal, I simply got a store-bought jar of Herdez’s Roasted Pasilla Chile sauce at the store instead of making a from-scratch sauce. You can find a selection of these sauces in the Hispanic foods section at your grocery store and choose accordingly to your preference. You will thank me if you are going to make this entire menu for your day of celebration. But if you want to make your own sauce, you can always try this one.
- 1/2 of a medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 (14 oz) can of hearts of palm (contains 6 pieces typically), drained completely
- 3/4 c. Herdez's Roasted Pasilla Chile Sauce (or sauce of choice)
- 6-8 corn tortillas
- sliced jalapenos
- chopped tomatoes
- chopped onions
- lime wedges
- In a medium skillet, heat up the olive oil and over medium-high heat.
- Saute the onions and garlic until translucent.
- Add the shredded hearts of palm into the pan for a few minutes just to absorb the flavor from the onions.
- Stir in the sauce and turn the heat down to medium-low and allow to fully heat up (another 5-7 minutes).
- This fills approximately 6-8 tacos, depending on how much you like your tacos to be filled.
A sneak-peak glimpse into the upcoming gluten-free vegan Cinco de Mayo dinner menu plan:
Stay tuned for Thursday when we make a batch of Vegan Queso Dip.
AND…Congrats to Robin and Amy for winning the giveaway for the weekend pass to Living Without’s Gluten-Free Allergy Food Fest in San Diego! I will email you two with instructions for that weekend. Yay!