Cinco de Mayo is approaching and since we already have our main course planned (if you missed Tuesday’s post, check it out here to see what veggie we used for our Shredded Soft Tacos), it’s time to focus on a simple, easy vegan appetizer we can serve for our Gluten-Free Vegan Cinco de Mayo dinner plan. My vote is that we find a way to create a vegan Queso Dip, do you agree? You do? Good because it’s already made and that is what we are doing regardless.
Now I will be the first to say that quite possibly this dip might not be the prettiest looking food out there. I know, I totally get it. But you know what they say about judging a book by it’s cover…
One chip scoop into this dip and you will wish it was the main course. Don’t fill up on it too much though–you have to make room for tacos, homemade salsa, Spanish rice, margaritas and dessert! This is where pacing yourself will come in handy.Print
A smoky, “cheezy” dip that is packed with protein with cashews. It’s the go-to vegan appetizer to serve at your Cinco de Mayo party.
- 3/4 c. raw, unsalted cashews, soaked 1 hour and drained
- 1/2 c. water
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- juice from 2 lemon wedges
- 1 c. chunky salsa
- In a high-speed blender, mix the soaked cashews and water together until smooth and creamy. Add the nutritional yeast, onion and garlic powders for a couple seconds until just combined.
- In a small skillet, sauté the shallot and garlic with 1 Tbsp. olive oil just until translucent. Pour the cashew cream into the skillet and heat up over medium heat.
- Add the salsa and heat up for 2 minutes, stirring often. Throw in the juice from the lemon and season with salt as you see fit.
Serve warm with a bowl of chips.
Yields 2 cups.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 213
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 400mg
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 9g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 22g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 9g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
According to the plan I follow, cashews are on the okay list for the anti-Candida diet. Others disagree, which is fine. Once these are on the okay-list, eat away! Also replace the canned tomatoes with 2 fresh ones, chopped up (juices included).
Your menu plan awaits you! Stick around for Saturday–it’s all about a sweet and spicy margarita… Mmmm booze. Things are heating up here.