Despite the fact that I never cared for the taste of meat really, as a kid you could have found me at either McDonald’s or Taco Bell. Though I would order a hamburger or a taco, if I sensed one bite of what I called the taste of beef I would revolt it out of my mouth, into my napkin and quickly shove back into my mouth a handful of fries or Cinnamon Crisps (bring the REAL version back, will you Taco Bell?!) Or better yet, replace your meat with quinoa (could it be a Quinoa Taco Meat?!) and then we have a deal!
No wonder as an adult I typically choose the veggie version over the real thing. Thankfully there are so many ways to make that veggie version taste significantly better–you would never miss the meat. And think about all that natural goodness that comes from this Quinoa Taco Meat. No need to worry about any bacteria in this faux red meat. That always relaxes me.
Quinoa Taco Meat Recipe
Gluten, egg, and dairy-free
Overflows approx 6 tacos
- 1 c. cooked quinoa (I like to cook it in veggie broth to give it added flavor)
- 2 Tb green chiles, canned
- 2 Tb thinly chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 of an onion, chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/1-1 tsp cumin (depending on your taste preference)
- 1/2 tsp ancho chile pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- dash of salt to season
- In a skillet, saute the onion with oil for about 3-5 minutes. Add green chiles.
- Add cumin, paprika, ancho chile pepper, cayenne, and salt. Mix into quinoa and cook another minute.
- Stir in cilantro last.
- Serve with favorite taco toppings.
Omit the green chilis and use fresh jalapenos instead. Use lettuce leaves for the taco shells or for a rare treat, make these grain free tortillas recipe.