Despite the fact that I never cared for the taste of meat really, as a kid you could have found me at either McDonald’s or Taco Bell. Though I would order a hamburger or a taco, if I sensed one bite of what I called the taste of beef I would revolt it out of my mouth, into my napkin and quickly shove back into my mouth a handful of fries or Cinnamon Crisps (bring the REAL version back, will you Taco Bell?!)
No wonder as an adult I, 9 out 10 times, gladly choose the veggie version over the real thing.
Quinoa Taco “Meat” Recipe
Gluten, egg, and dairy-free
Overflows approx 6 tacos
- 1 c. cooked quinoa (I like to cook it in veggie broth to give it added flavor)
- 2 Tb green chiles, canned
- 2 Tb thinly chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 of an onion, chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/1-1 tsp cumin (depending on your taste preference)
- 1/2 tsp ancho chile pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- dash of salt to season
- In a skillet, saute the onion with oil for about 3-5 minutes. Add green chiles.
- Add cumin, paprika, ancho chile pepper, cayenne, and salt. Mix into quinoa and cook another minute.
- Stir in cilantro last.
- Serve with favorite taco toppings.