There are 3 things you need in life: 1). Something to do, 2). Something to love, and 3). Something to look forward to. And beer. The silent 4th. Oh, and cauliflower that has been dipped in a beer batter and eaten like tacos. When you are not happy, you are not doing one of those things. You probably just need a Beer-Battered Cauliflower Taco though…
I was so excited when these cauliflower steaks sizzled up beautifully in my pan. With a crunchy bite and a soft inside, this recipe truly is reminiscent of fish tacos. However there is no fishing pole needed here–just a head of cauliflower.
Helpful tip: Make sure that when you are making the cauliflower steak slices that you are not cutting off the bottom stem–that is what keeps the steaks together.
- Half head of cauliflower (cut vertically into slices--with stems intact)
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1 Tb flaxseed meal + 2 Tbs warm water, allow to sit for 5-7 minutes until thick
- ½ c. Cara's gluten-free flour blend
- ⅓ c. corn starch
- ⅓ c. gluten-free beer
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- Cilantro Lime Sauce
- red cabbage, thinly sliced
- cilantro and onions, minced
- lime wedges
- Combine flour blend, cornstarch, chili powder and paprika--whisk until well-blended.
- Combine flax "egg", oil and beer into the dry ingredients. Mix until smooth. Batter should be thick but not too thick where it cannot be mixed with resistance. Think thick waffle batter.
- Heat a medium skillet with ½ c. oil. Allow to heat thoroughly (very important).
- Gently dip each piece of cauliflower into batter and place into the skillet. Fry for a good 2-3 minutes on each side or until nicely browned.
- Drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle with salt to season.
- Assemble the tacos as desired.
Here’s something to look forward to….