Gluten free tortillas. They are like the Holy Grail of bread-like foods to recreate for those who cannot eat gluten. Either they are too stiff to bend, too hard to eat or just nothing at all the way you remembered them to be. Until now. Until right flippin’ now. All thanks to a new flour, Otto’s Cassava flour, that is coming on the scene next month. Before I start raving about this company can we just look at these tortillas? I mean, REALLY look at them. Do you see how effortlessly they bend and hold all the fillings without tearing??! Do you see how slightly charred they get and how they look just like wheat tortillas??! And the air bubbles, oh holy tacos, the air bubbles!!! Did I mention how they only require FOUR ingredients???!! I’m sorry, am I yelling? I’m yelling. I cannot help it. I have made these six times now and they keep getting better and better. They are worth shouting from the rooftops!!!*
*So many exclamation marks!!
Now let’s chat about how one ingredient in this recipe has changed my tortilla-eating life forever: Otto’s Naturals Cassava flour. You might be asking yourself, “Wait a minute, doesn’t tapioca starch come from the cassava root? Is this just tapioca in disguise?” Yes and no. Yes, tapioca comes from the root of cassava but it is extracted and bleached. Cassava flour is the entire root, dried and then ground. It is more nutritious, easier to digest and the best part is that it’s grain free as well. Because of Otto’s Cassava flour you can make GRAIN FREE TORTILLAS. Can this day get any better?! Keep reading because it does. You can read more about Cassava flour on Otto’s website along with recipes to highlight what you can do with it.
I made a little video just to show you how EASY these puppies are to make:
- ¾ c. Otto's Naturals Cassava flour
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ⅓ c. warm water
- Whisk together the flour and salt. Add the oil and warm water until a nice dough begins to form. The dough should not be dry or too wet and sticky.
- Knead the dough until smooth.
- Divide into two balls and then three even dough balls from each piece so you have six dough balls.
- Roll each dough ball between two pieces of parchment paper until thin.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Once properly heated, place tortilla on the skillet. Wait for the air bubbles to form (approx. 1 minute) and then flip. Each side should be slightly browned.
- Place on a plate and stack each tortilla on top, covered with a towel to keep warm.
Guess what? Otto’s Naturals Cassava Flour has opened their doors for pre-orders NOW. Start stocking up, you have gluten-free tortillas to be made after all. Click here to start buying!
Enter below to win, you lucky animals. You have until next Saturday, January 17th at 12:00am PST to enter. If you win and do not respond within the week of the announcement, another winner will be drawn. This is just for US residents (sorry everyone else!) but remember come February you will be able to purchase this awesome flour online.
The giveaway is now closed!
**This post contains affiliate links that I earn a commission based off of your purchases.