If you haven’t learned yet, the possibilities of turning veggies into hearty meal are endless. You just have to retrain your brain to view food differently. I take a look at mushrooms and immediately begin to make a mental list about everything a mushroom is. Meaty. Chewy. Mild in flavor. Then I ask myself what non-veggie substitute it would work best as until I get it: Carne Asada turned Shiitake Mushroom Tacos. I stand there at the grocery store for minutes in one place just thinking this sort of stuff.
Anyone who tells me that eating a mainly vegetarian diet isn’t satisfying hasn’t eaten at my house. Not to say that every body works well on a veggie-based diet–I do not understand anyone else’s body but my own, however what I do know is that veggies for dinner can be flippin’ tasty AND filling.
Even the man in your life will come to their meat-eating senses if you make them cauliflower for dinner or these meaty tacos. Mine did.
- 3 shiitake mushrooms, washed and sliced vertically
- ¼ c. olive oil
- 1 large handful of cilantro, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- juice of 1 lime
- corn tortillas
- Pico de gallo
- Combine the oil, lime juice, cilantro and garlic together.
- In a shallow dish, place marinade on top of sliced mushrooms. Cover and allow to sit for 20 minutes in the fridge.
- Grill (or cook in a skillet) until heated through. Serve with corn tortillas, limes and pico de gallo.