Maybe this shocks me more than it does you but the mere fact that I created something baked and not fried is pretty much proof that I have made some changes in my life. Of course you can always fry these Baked Vegan Zucchini Fries but that I leave completely up to you. No judgment zone here.
The best part of this recipe isn’t the fact that it’s baked, though it does make them rather fantastic and more healthy for your heart. No, the best part is the dipping sauce and the fact that it is made from sunflower seeds and not cashews so even those with nut allergies in your life can enjoy it. Victory dance for all.
- 3 medium zucchinis, sliced lengthwise into fries (should yield around 50 pieces)
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (or any lighter oil)
- 1 c. gluten-free panko crumbs, slightly crushed
- ½ c. hemp seeds
- 2 Tbsp. dry quinoa
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the gf panko crumbs, hemp seeds and dry quinoa. Set aside.
- Place the sliced zucchinis into a large bowl and drizzle in the oil, gently massaging it into the zucchini until all pieces are coated.
- Taking a few zucchini sticks at a time, place into the shallow dish and completely coat with the crumb mixture on all sides.
- Place on the baking sheet. You will probably need to do this in 2 batches total.
- Bake for 15 minutes and then turn the sheet to the other side. Bake another 10 minutes or until golden brown.
P.S. These zucchini fries would pair perfectly with my BBQ Hearts of Palm Sandwiches this weekend. I think you should make both to wow all your friends and family. Oh and go ahead and add the 4th of July Watermelon Cake for dessert. Look at that! I just planned your menu for you…
- ½ c. sunflower seeds, soaked overnight, drained and rinsed
- ½ c. water
- ¼ c. unsweetened nondairy milk
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 tsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp. fresh dill
- 1 tsp. dried parsley (or 1 Tbsp. fresh parsley)
- 1 tsp. dried chives (or 1 Tbsp. fresh chives)
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- salt to flavor
- Place the sunflower seeds, water, unsweetened nondairy milk, garlic clove, and nutritional yeast into a high-speed blender until completely smooth. Add the fresh/dry herbs and blend on pulse until just mixed in (the chunks are a good thing).
Have a safe and fun holiday everyone!