There is something about tater tots that takes me back to my childhood school days of healthy eating at the cafeteria. Nothing screams good-for-your-body more than a handful of deep-fried tots and whole milk to guzzle it down. Deep-fried Cauliflower Tater Tots? Oh now that is a different story. That’s health food folks because it has cauliflower. A vegetable that is good for you that only gets better when you fry the crap out of it in oil.
I’m sorry but my affinity for all-things fried will never go away. I have tried to abolish them from my life but there are just those days that you need a tater tot, am I right or am I right? And since I LOVE cauliflower…
I couldn’t think of a better combination than to marry Tater Tots and cauliflower. It’s a match made in heaven. Don’t want to fry these bad boys? Just bake them on a greased or parchment paper-lined cookie sheet for 20 minutes at 375 degrees, making sure to flip them over halfway. You might have to bake them longer (I’m just guessing here).
- 2 c. grated raw cauliflower
- 1 Tbsp. ground white chia seeds + 3 Tbsp. water - allow to thicken for 2-3 minutes
- 1/3 c. gluten-free flour blend
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 c. crushed crunchy gluten-free bread crumbs or cereal (ie: Chex, etc.)
- Heat up a small skillet with vegetable oil (enough to cover a tot) over medium heat until it reaches 350 degrees. It is very important to ensure that your oil is hot enough or else you will have a crispy exterior and a gummy inside.
- Mix all ingredients together except for the bread crumbs until well-blended.
- Create tater tot shapes with your hands and then roll around each tot into the bread crumbs to completely coat.
- Gently place the tots in batches into the skillet and cook for about 3 minutes until lightly browned. If you need to move the tots around to brown, do so.
- Drain on a paper towel-lined plate and lightly season with salt.