There is something about tater tots that takes me back to my childhood school days of healthy eating at the cafeteria. Nothing screams good-for-your-body more than a handful of deep-fried tots and whole milk to guzzle it down. Deep-fried Cauliflower Tater Tots? Oh now that is a different story. That’s health food folks because it has cauliflower. A vegetable that is good for you that only gets better when you fry the crap out of it in oil.
I’m sorry but my affinity for all-things fried will never go away. I have tried to abolish them from my life but there are just those days that you need a tater tot, am I right or am I right? And since I LOVE cauliflower…
I couldn’t think of a better combination than to marry Tater Tots and cauliflower. It’s a match made in heaven. Don’t want to fry these bad boys? Just bake them on a greased or parchment paper-lined cookie sheet for 20 minutes at 375 degrees, making sure to flip them over halfway. You might have to bake them longer (I’m just guessing here).
- 2 c. grated raw cauliflower
- 1 Tbsp. ground white chia seeds + 3 Tbsp. water, allow to thicken for 2-3 minutes
- ⅓ c. gluten-free flour blend
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1 c. crushed crunchy gluten-free bread crumbs or cereal (ie: Chex, etc.)
- Heat up a small skillet with vegetable oil (enough to cover a tot) over medium heat until it reaches 350 degrees. It is very important to ensure that your oil is hot enough or else you will have a crispy exterior and a gummy inside.
- Mix all ingredients together except for the bread crumbs until well-blended.
- Create tater tot shapes with your hands and then roll around each tot into the bread crumbs to completely coat. Gently place the tots in batches into the skillet and cook for about 3 minutes until lightly browned. If you need to move the tots around to brown, do so.
- Drain on a paper towel-lined plate and lightly season with salt.