So a funny thing happened to me at work yesterday: Jillian Michaels came in. With the location of my job, celebrity spotting tends to be a daily happening, which is kind of a fun perk about what I do. I try not to ogle at them (well, there was one time when Bob Balaban from “Waiting for Guffman” and “Moonrise Kingdom” came in… I was tongue-tied) just because I know they are trying to go about their lives. But for me, it just adds to the magical feeling I get now that I work in Hollywood.
I’d like to think that Jillian would approve of this dressing. So today I will pass on the gym and will eat tons of ranch dressing. All in honor of her.
- ½ c raw cashews, soak for 30 minutes with boiling water in a bowl, drained* (see notes)
- ¼ c. filtered water
- ¼ c. homemade nondairy milk
- ¼ of a medium red onion, skin removed
- juice of ½ lemon
- ½ tsp. raw apple cider vinegar
- ¼-1/2 tsp. sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 2-3 Tbsp. fresh parsley
- In a high-speed blender, all everything together except for the parsley until completely smooth. If you like a thinner dressing, add a little water at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Add parsley and pulse until it is roughly chopped but not blended to the point where the dressing is now completely green.
- Adjust the salt and pepper according to taste.
- Chill for an hour. Stays fresh for 3-4 days in fridge in an air-tight container.
This is definitely comparable to Ranch Dressing, in fact, I think it tastes better (but then again, I think anything that is homemade tastes better so take it for what it’s worth). As someone who cannot eat dairy, there is a great need for recreating excellent alternatives and this is right where it’s at. I promise you that if you served this dressing on a salad for dinner tonight, no one would know that it was actually made from cashews!