For the Cookie Dough:
- 1/4 c. non-hydrogenated shortening
- 2 Tbsp. nondairy butter, softened
- 1/4 c. + 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1/4 c. granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. aquafaba* (brine from a can of chickpeas)
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 1/4 c.Cara’s GF Flour Blend
- 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
For the Frosting:
- With an electric mixer over medium speed, beat the shortening and butter together for 30 seconds. Add the sugars and beat until fluffy (approx 60 seconds).
- Add the aquafaba and lemon zest and beat until just combined.
- Throw the remaining ingredients (except for the lemon juice) into the bowl and mix over low speed until a dough is formed. The dough will look crumbly. Add the lemon juice and mix again until just combined. You will find that you are able to form a nice dough with your hands. If the dough is too sticky, add a tablespoon of flour into the mix.
- Divide the dough into 3 balls. Chill for up to an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
- The dough ball *will* be a little crumbly. Simply warm it up by passing it back and forth between your hands, smoothing it out. Roll out 1 dough ball between two pieces of parchment paper until 1/4″ thick. Cut into desired shapes.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 6-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Allow to cool for 5 min on sheet before transferring to a cooling rack. Repeat with the other 2 dough balls.
- For the frosting: Mix the butter and shortening together with the powdered sugar. Add the food coloring and a teaspoon of dairy free milk and mix until nice and smooth for an easy spread.
- Decorate cookies with frosting, googly eyes, sprinkles, red hots, etc.
*See post for substitution ideas
** You can use an equal amount of cream cheese instead of shortening if you want