Yup, it’s true. Kathy Hester of Healthy Slow Cooking does it again! It’s her third cookbook and I’m not even exaggerating when I say that this is her best work yet. Vegan Slow Cooking for 2 (or Just For You) is a beautiful collection of slow cooking recipes that are eclectic at best–ranging from dinner ideas, appetizers, and sweet treats. I own all 3 books and I can say with confidence that Kathy impresses me more with each book and this is most definitely my favorite (until the next one comes out, I’m sure):
There are 4 things that I care deeply about (this of course is not a finite list, just the four things non-person related that immediately come to mind):
Any excuse to eat soup is my kind of day, especially soup that has brussells sprouts in it. Holy veggies, this recipe is not only filling, nutritious and easy to make, it is also one of my newest faves on the dinner menu. I mean, for reals people, all you do is throw everything into your slow cooker and go to work. That is my kind of dinner!
Photo taken by Kate Lewis and copyrighted by Fair Winds Press
- 2 cups (475 g) water
- 1½ cups (210 g) diced winter squash
- 1 cup (88 g) shredded brussels sprouts
- ½ cup (65 g) diced carrots
- ¼ cup (38 g) diced bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons (11 g) cooked onion (page 19)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 vegan bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 2 teaspoons (2 g) dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Toasted minced pecans for garnish, optional
- Add everything except the last three ingredients to the slow cooker and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours.
- Before serving, add apple cider vinegar, salt, and pepper. Serve with a sprinkling of toasted pecans.
BUY THE BOOK HERE
You can also find Kathy at: