Continuing on our “Snacks-I-ate-as-a-kid” theme, I was a huge graham cracker lover. Particularly the graham sticks kind. My favorite thing to do was grab a few crackers (oh, who am I kidding? I would grab an entire sleeve) and dip each piece into an ice cold bath of milk. So imagine my excitement when I saw that there existed the gluten-free version of graham crackers on the market. Unfortunately they just weren’t the same. At all. I don’t understand why the majority of GF processed foods out there have to taste so horribly. Maybe I have found my new career path… So naturally I made it my mission to make a tasty recreation:
When I am unable to stop myself from polishing off every last graham cracker, that is when I know I have a winner.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine all the dry ingredients together (flours, flaxseed meal, baking powder, salt, sugar, and cinnamon) in a medium bowl. With a pastry blender or fork, incorporate solid coconut oil into flour until crumbs forms.
- Place the rest of the ingredients into flour mix (molasses, milk, vanilla). Make into a dough ball.
- Divide into 2 balls. Roll out 1 ball onto a piece of parchment to ¼'" thickness or desired thickness.
- Using a pizza cutter (either a straight edge or one with ridges) make cuts to form squares. Use a ruler if needed.
- Take a fork and gently poke holes into dough. Sprinkle with sugar, if desired.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until browned. Allow to cool for 20 minutes.
The molasses really gives these puppies a rich taste that makes the homemade version better than anything store bought. If you don’t like the taste that molasses adds to a recipe, simply omit it. If the dough is too dry at that point, add another Tablespoon of non-dairy milk.
I even made graham sticks just to take me back to the good ol’ days. And yes, I even dipped them into an ice cold bath of rice milk.
DON’T FORGET TO COME BACK TOMORROW.
YOUR SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT WILL BE WAITING FOR YOU…