Continuing on our “Snacks-I-ate-as-a-kid” theme,
I was a huge graham cracker lover. Particularly the graham sticks kind.
My favorite thing to do was
grab a few crackers (oh, who am I kidding? I would grab an entire sleeve)
and dip each piece into an ice cold bath of milk.
So imagine my excitement when I saw that there existed
the gluten-free version of graham crackers on the market.
Unfortunately they just weren’t the same. At all.
I don’t understand why the majority of GF processed foods
out there have to taste so horribly.
Maybe I have found my new career path…
So naturally I made it my mission to make a tasty recreation:
Let’s just say that the moment Greg tested these,
his eyes widened and he actually hugged me,
telling me how proud of me he was.
I know I have a winner.
Graham Crackers Recipe
Inspired by Alton Brown
Makes approx 40 crackers
- 2 c. my All-Purpose GF mix
- 1/4 c. Teff flour
- 2 Tbs flaxseed meal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 Tbs coconut oil (DO NOT MELT)
- 3 Tbs unsulphered molasses
- 5 Tbs hemp milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine all the dry ingredients together (flours, flaxseed meal, baking powder, salt, sugar, and cinnamon) in a medium bowl. With a pastry blender or fork, incorporate solid coconut oil into flour until crumbs forms.
- Place the rest of the ingredients into flour mix (molasses, milk, vanilla). Make into a dough ball.
- Divide into 2 balls. Roll out 1 ball onto a piece of parchment to 1/4′” thickness or desired thickness.
- Using a pizza cutter (either a straight edge or one with ridges) make cuts to form squares. Use a ruler if needed.
- Take a fork and gently poke holes into dough. Sprinkle with sugar, if desired.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until browned. Allow to cool for 20 minutes.
The molasses really gives these puppies a rich taste
that makes the homemade version better than anything store bought.
If you don’t like the taste that molasses adds to a recipe, simply omit it.
If the dough is too dry at that point,
add another Tablespoon of non-dairy milk.
I even made graham sticks just to
take me back to the good ol’ days.
And yes, I even dipped them into an ice cold bath of rice milk.
And then as if that wasn’t enough,
I got even more snack crazy
and remembered my deep love for anything S’mores.
I mean, major love for S’mores.
You name it, if they were advertising it (whatever it was) as the new flavor,
I would eat it!
So I also made the adult/sophisticated version
for those of us who still have that little kid inside us that love
that campfire treat:
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
Makes 1 S’more
- 2 Graham cracker sticks
- 3 Dandies marshmallows
- 1 heaping TB Enjoy Life chocolate chips, melted
- chopped almonds
- 1 skewer
- Melt Dandies in a microwave on top of 1 graham stick (needs no more than 10 seconds to make it puff).
- Place the other graham stick on top to make a sandwich and dip into melted chocolate. Use a spoon to coat half of the cookie, gently squeezing the sticks together to keep them connected.
- Drizzle with almonds. Place on wax paper. Stick a skewer inside.
DON’T FORGET TO COME BACK TOMORROW.
YOUR SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT WILL BE WAITING FOR YOU…