Pour a cup of this non-dairy peppermint hot chocolate, we are about to get deep here.
It’s ironic how the harder you try to control your life, the more out of control it becomes. And futile worrying will get you absolutely nowhere. Oh friends, don’t I know this truth so well! The past several months I have watched myself slip out of control in my life and try so desperately to keep it together. I remember when I got my palm read, the psychic Rose told me that at one point last year, I was on what I thought was the road to success. But when I took a detour, I have been on this new road of trying to replicate where I once was…and it isn’t doing me any good. I felt like I “lost” my way and I have been trying to do what I once did in order to get back there.
But the point is I am not supposed to get back there, wherever there supposedly is. The problem, however, is that I am fighting this new road that I am on. It’s time to accept that I am where I am supposed to be.
I will look back on this time with great awe for how greatly I grew. I can feel its essence: it’s a time of beautiful transition, growth, and change. But if I can just be honest, somedays I just sit on the floor and cry. I stress out a lot about finding a job and how I am going to pay next month’s rent; I worry about finding independence and making a name for myself. Most days I stare at this blog, unmotivated to respond or even create new recipes. That is just me trying to pull the shades down and lock the door out of fear, though. Life, in some ways, isn’t going the way I want and so for me to control it, I escape and shut down.
But I’m getting nowhere fast when I resist change. I want nothing more than to feel more at home; more at home in this place of transition. And I know that my first step is to let go of my control and ego. This is the hardest first step.
I need a drink. Bartender, pour me a boozy version of this Non-Dairy Peppermint Hot Chocolate:
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil, refined for no coconut flavor (this will give a creamier taste)
- 3 heaping Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- pinch of sea salt
- 3 c. nondairy milk (you can add more if too chocolate-y)
- 1 tsp. peppermint extract or ¼ c. Peppermint Schnapps
- crushed candy canes (for coating the cup)
- dairy free whipped cream (like So Delicious)
- vegan marshmallows
- Peppermint sticks (optional)
- Mix the coconut oil, cocoa powder, maple syrup and sea salt into a small saucepan until smooth.
- Whisk in nondairy milk into saucepan. Turn heat to low, whisking occasionally until smooth and desired temperature is reached (approx. 5 min).
- Add the Schnapps or peppermint extract into saucepan and stir.
- Pour into crushed candy cane-lined cups, top with nondairy whipped creams and/or marshmallows. Enjoy.
Okay enough of the heavy talk and let’s start drinking! Who wants a glass?