I will be the first to admit that this dish doesn’t necessarily look all that appetizing. Part of the problem was I made this recipe with canned yams and omitted the egg yolks from my stepmom’s famous Thanksgiving recipe–and a bunch of mush is what it turned out to be. However, might I add that it was some of the TASTIEST mush! Scout’s Honor.
I revised this recipe the 2nd time around and used boiled sweet potatoes and not only was it just as good, it was more solid and a much prettier color. Unfortunately the sun was not out for photographs. But please trust me, dear friends, this recipe is so good you will be begging for it again next Thanksgiving.
Sweet Potatoes with Candied Pecans Recipe
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into even chunks
- 2 Tb orange juice
- 2 tsp orange rind
- 4 Tb brandy
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 heaping tsp ground ginger
- 3 Tb vegan butter
- 4 Tb brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/3 c. brown sugar
- 4 tb vegan butter
- 1 1/2 c. pecan
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Boil sweet potatoes until soft to touch with a fork (15 minutes). Drain. Mash with a fork completely and place in oven safe pan.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Pour topping over sweet potatoes.
- Cover and chill overnight if desired.
- Bake 350 degrees for 25-30 min til brown and bubbly.