“Life is a good teacher and a good friend. Things are always in transition if we could only realize it. Nothing ever sums itself up in the way that we would like to dream about. The off-center, in between state is an ideal situation, a situation in which we don’t get caught, and in which we can open our hearts and minds beyond limit.
That nothing is static or fixed, that all is fleeting and impermanent, is the first mark of existence. It is the ordinary state of affairs. Everything is in process. Everything—every tree, every blade of grass, all the animals, insects, human beings, buildings, the animate and the inanimate—is always changing, moment to moment.
Chinese Tempeh Salad Recipe
- Tempeh, sliced into small rectangles
- Lettuce (I used a mix that had red cabbage and shredded carrots in it)
- 1 brown rice tortilla, cut into strips and fried in oil until lightly browned
- 1/4 c. sliced almonds
- 1 can of mandarin oranges, drained
- pomegranate seeds
- sesame seeds, for garnish
- Garlic Ginger Sesame Dressing (see below)
Garlic Ginger Sesame Dressing Recipe
Makes enough for 2 salads
- 1/3 c. rice vinegar
- 1/4 c. soy sauce (gluten-free)
- 3 Tbs sesame seeds
- 1 Tb brown sugar
- 1 Tb fresh ginger, shredded through a zester
- 1 large garlic clove, shredded through a zester
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 3 scallions, chopped (white portion only)
- Combine entire ingredient list and whisk until smooth.
- Slice tempeh into desired size and allow to marinate in dressing in a covered bowl, in the fridge. Do not throw away the remainder of the marinade. Keep the rest for the dressing.
The spiritual journey involves going beyond hope and fear, stepping into unknown territory, continually moving forward. The most important aspect of being on the spiritual path may be to just keep moving.
And onward I keep going…