You know that face you make when you eat something tart and it hits you in the side of your cheek and sends shivers down your spine, makes you pucker your mouth, cringe your face, and roll your eyes? I wanted to name these gluten-free vegan cranberry muffins just that but I couldn’t find the right emoticon for it. I told you I was on a bread kick but apparently it’s more like a cranberry kick what with this Cranberry Walnut “Cheese” Ball, these Cranberry Orange Bagels, and now these muffins.
This is all my way of gearing up for Valentine’s Day. I’m honoring cranberries as the new fruit mascot of Lover’s Day and to celebrate, I throwing these tart berries into everything. Don’t worry, I will find a way to throw them into chocolate. Oh the chocolate! Just you wait for next week. I’m going to get our hands dirty with cocoa. Tons of cocoa and homemade chocolates and tips and lessons on chocolate-making in your very own home.
Until then however, let’s stuff our faces with muffins. The perfect blend of sweet and tart muffins that make the best mid-day snack for you and your lover. Or just you. For Valentine’s Day. Or any day of the week that exists, really.
- 1½ c. Cara's gluten-free flour blend (see below)
- ½ c. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 c. non-dairy milk
- ¼ c. vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1½ tsp. EnerG egg replacer + 2 Tbsp. warm water - whisk until frothy
- 1 c. frozen cranberries
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease or line a muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, mix the wet ingredients. Create a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and stir in wet mix with a wooden spoon until just combined. Fold in cranberries.
- Pour into the muffin pan and bake for 22-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle. Once cool enough to handle, transfer to a wire rack.