Ever since April Fools Day, I’ve been a bit consumed (and overjoyed) with the idea of creating desserts that look like savory foods (like these Tacos, or Chick’n Nuggets and Fries, or what about these Sunny Side Up Eggs?) See? I’m teetering on overload of tricked out foods and now I am adding this Seven Layer Dessert Dip to the list for this upcoming Cinco de Mayo. It’s a fun twist on a holiday classic.
I was really pleased with the look of the “refried beans”: I used my sweet potato chocolate pudding recipe but used dark cocoa powder instead of normal cocoa and it that took the resemblance of beans to the next level. I highly recommend it (plus I just recommend having dark cocoa on hand in general because it makes everything chocolate better). Trust me.
The crispy cinnamon sugar chips can either be made with my grain free tortilla recipe or you can make them with store-bought brown rice tortillas (or just use regular tortillas if you don’t have a gluten issue). Cut them into triangles, fry them up and immediately coat with cinnamon sugar. OR you can bake them at 375 degrees. Cut them into triangles, lightly coat with olive oil, bake until lightly browned, and douse with cinnamon sugar.
Put a new twist on a fun classic with this Seven Layer Dessert Dip. It’s a fun allergen friendly treat for Cinco de Mayo.
- 1 recipe for Healthy chocolate sweet potato pudding
- ½ c. dairy free whipped cream
- 1 c. dairy free whipped cream
- mix with a couple drops all natural green food coloring
- ½ c. shredded coconut
- 1 tiny drop all natural red food coloring
- 3 drops all natural yellow food coloring
- 10 medium strawberries, cubed
- ¼ c. chopped jicama
- 1 large handful basil, chopped
- black jelly beans, sliced in half
- cinnamon sugar tortilla chips
- Place the pudding on the bottom of each plastic cup.
- Layer with the whipped cream "sour cream" and the "guacamole."
- For the realistic look of "cheese" reserve 1 tablespoon of the shredded coconut. Combine the yellow and red food coloring with the remainder of coconut until it is even colored. You might need to add a little bit of water to mix the color around. Add the uncolored coconut to look like a shredded Mexican cheese mix.
- Top with fruit salsa, more chopped basil and jelly bean olives.
- Garnish with a cinnamon sugar tortilla chip.
For the dairy free whipped cream, you can use store bought or homemade coconut whipped cream. If you are using store bought, please note that when you combine the food coloring into the cream, you will need to use an electrical mixer, not by hand. Place into the freezer once evenly colored and allow to firm up for a few minutes.
Serve your Seven Layer Dessert Dip with a festive pinata and now you got yourself a fun Cinco de Mayo celebration.