Breakfast just got rather creative in several ways with this Grain Free Hot CereOWL. For starters, it’s in shape of an owl (if the title didn’t allude to that enough)…and if you follow me on Instagram, you should know how I feel about owl-shaped foods (they’re a hoot!) And by now you should also know how I feel about puns. But the other component to this unique breakfast is that it’s made without oats. In fact, it’s made without any grain what-so-ever. I heard you, my oat-free friends, when I posted this Oatmeal Kitty (and you said that you couldn’t have it). And I heard you, my cauliflower haters, when I posted this Fauxmeal (and you said, gross!) So now there’s a new hot cereal in town and he goes by the name CereOWL.
And we can thank Nuts.com for providing their incredibly nutritious almonds, cashews, and walnuts for the main base of this grain free goodness! I seriously have found my favorite spot to not only buy nuts from but to also stock my pantry with when it comes to all my favorite staples.
Check out how I make these Grain Free Hot CereOWL bowls:
Not only can you serve your kids a fun owl-shaped breakfast but this Grain Free Hot CereOWL is actually made from nuts and fruit!
- ⅓ c. raw almonds
- ⅓ c. raw cashews
- ⅓ c. walnuts
- 1 banana
- ¾ c. dairy free milk
- 3 Tbsp. unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- sprinkle of nutmeg
- 2 small orange slices (for the eyes)
- 2 banana slices (for the eyes)
- 2 blueberries (for the eyes)
- 7 raw almonds (for the eyebrows and beak)
- 1 kiwi slice, cut in half (for the wings)
- 14 almonds slices (for the feathers)
- 6 raw cashews (for the claws)
- Pulse the nuts together in a food processor until you create almost a flour-like base.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients and blend until some-what smooth. This will have texture to it so if you want it completely smooth, add to a high-speed blended.
- Transfer to a small saucepan and heat up for 5 minutes, or until it gets warm and thick enough. If you want it thicker, you can always add ½ tsp. chia seeds and let it sit for a minute.
- Follow the video for full instruction on how to assemble the owl
Before you go, there is something else I must tell you! If you go to Nuts.com right now and purchase $25 worth of goodies (which is rather easy to do!), the incredibly kind folks over there want to give you something free. Actually FOUR free things. Of your choosing! So what are you waiting for? It better not be to listen to me continue on blabbing. Click this link and it will lead you to ordering.