Let’s not talk; let’s just eat! How about some chili??? I made THE best chili EVER! No really. It’s THAT good. I crave this stuff all of the time. (Don’t you just love ridiculous claims like, the best EVER? I think they are so much fun to say…and why not trust it when you see the words BEST? Money back guarantee).
- ½ of a yellow onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can organic no salt added diced tomatoes
- 4 c. vegetable broth
- 12 oz. gluten-free beer (or replace with another cup of vegetable broth)
- In a large pot, sauté the onion in the olive oil until translucent (2-3 minutes). Mix the seasonings into the onion and cook for seconds until fragrant. Add the remainder of the ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat to medium to medium/high heat and simmer uncovered until the liquid begins to evaporate (which allows the flavors to heighten when you do this). This will take about 20 minutes or longer, stirring continuously. Turn off heat once the chili has thickened up and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Serve with a sprinkle of the spice crack, non-dairy sour cream (optional) and cilantro.
SPICE “CRACK” (Emeril Lagasse’s ESSENCE Creole Seasoning):
2 1/2 Tbs Paprika
2 Tbs salt
2 Tbs garlic powder
1 Tb black pepper
1 Tb onion powder
1 Tb cayenne pepper
1 Tb dried oregano
1 Tb dried thyme
In a bowl mix the spices together and set aside.
There will be plenty leftover so save it in a baggie for another day. You will understand why I call it “crack”–it’s so good!! It adds just a great salty and spicy kick.