Summer is here so make this classic kid-friendly sandwich into a barbeque-inspired meal with these BBQ Chickpea Sloppy Joes. Made with good-for-you protein from garbanzo beans and homemade BBQ sauce, these cuties are sandwiched in between gluten free buns an take dinner up an extra step of fun with the cutest green olive eyes and cornichon noses.
I’m a kid at heart so the idea of Sloppy Joes still greatly interests me (in fact, I make my original version for dinner every month). They are so easy to throw together, ready in a matter of minutes, and are packed with flavor. All you need are gluten free buns or even lettuce cups for a more carb-friendly/lighter-meal option and these BBQ Chickpea Sloppy Joes will put a big smile on your kids’ faces.
Dinner is ready in less than 30 minutes with these BBQ Chickpea Sloppy Joes! Full of protein and secretly stuffed with veggies, this is a meal that is a guaranteed keeper:
- 1 (15 oz) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained, half mashed with the back of a fork
- ¼ yellow onion, minced
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- ¼ c. red bell pepper, chopped
- ¼ c. my homemade BBQ sauce or use store bought
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 4 gluten free hamburger buns, lightly toasted
- 8 toothpicks
- 8 green olives
- 4 cornichons
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, saute the onion, carrots and bell peppers with vegetable oil until they are soft (approx 5 minutes).
- Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, BBQ sauce, salt and brown sugar. Mix well. Bring the mixture to a boil and then simmer uncovered on medium-low heat for 15 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Add more salt and pepper at this point, if needed.
- Add the BBQ chickpeas inside each toasted bun.
- For the face, secure 2 green olives to the top of each bun with toothpicks, and add the cornichon in between.
Have you made this already or any other of my recipes? I want to see it! Tag me in your photos @forkandbeans and #forkandbeans on Instagram. I love seeing all your photos!