I kicked April Fools Day week off (because it deserves a week of fun, okay?!) with this April Fools Day Breakfast idea, did you see it yet? Guaranteed to insert a jolly good time into this upcoming Friday and imagine laughter that will ensue! And since yesterday was Taco Tuesday, I thought I’d have a little fun with one of my favorite sponsors, Flatout, and bring to you a Wacky Wednesday special (because I missed Taco Tuesday, you see) and make for you the most realistic April Fools Day Tacos the west has ever seen.*
“But Cara, these ARE tacos,” you scream from your computer screen. Check again, sister (or brother). These aren’t savory tacos but their sweet counterpart tacos that fooled even ME…and I’m the one who made them.
Filled with a realistic taco meat that is actually quinoa, peanut butter, and chocolate; topped with a strawberry jicama salsa, dairy free whipped cream, basil lettuce, shredded coconut cheese; and black jelly bean olives; all held together with a baked Flatout wrap sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. This is every dessert and April Fools Day lover’s dream. Oh, and don’t forget to watch the video! At the end, I play a prank on my unsuspecting husband.*
*Our acting skills need some work.
Fool your family for dinner with these April Fools Day Tacos!Print
For the Meat:
- 1/2 c. cooked quinoa
- 1/4 c. dairy free chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp. all natural peanut butter (or seed butter)
For the Salsa:
- 5 strawberries, cubed
- 1/4 c. jicama, cubed
- 2 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
For the “Cheese”:
- 1/4 c. shredded coconut, divided
- all natural yellow food coloring
- 2 Tbsp. basil, chopped
- Dairy free cool whip topping
- 8 black jelly beans, sliced in half
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut your wraps in half and using a knife, cut the edges to make a large circle for each half (see video for guidance).
- Brush lightly with olive oil and then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Turn a muffin pan upside down and place the shells in the groove of the pan in order to maintain it’s taco shell shape. Bake for 5-7 min or until the shells get lightly browned. Keep an eye on them as they cook fast after the 5 minute mark. Allow to set by fully cooling.
- Place the peanut butter and chocolate into the pan with the cooked quinoa. Over low heat, stir until the ingredients have melted evenly into the quinoa.
- Place the ingredients for the salsa into a small bowl and set aside.
- For the cheese, take 2 Tbsp. of the shredded coconut with one drop of all natural yellow food coloring and mix until evenly colored. Add the remaining half of coconut and fold in to look like a Mexican cheese blend.
- Place 2 Tbsp. of the “meat” filling into each taco shell.
- Evenly pile in the remainder of the toppings into the shell, top with jelly bean “olives” and watch your kids freak when you serve them dessert for dinner.
Your pantry should be stocked with the majority of these items already and if you don’t have any Flatout wraps handy, by golly, get those buns to the store (they are usually found in the bakery section) because you have April Fools Day Tacos to be made!