For the fast food lover in your life, trick them into thinking this April Fools Day dinner is actually Chick’n nuggets and french fries. It’s all an illusion over here this week, friends, and now you can make today full of laughter and fun with one of my three April Fools Day tricks (here, here, and now this).
Brown rice cereal treats, dipped in dairy free white chocolate and coated with crushed gluten free pretzels, these chick’n nuggets looks so realistic, your family will freak when they figure out it’s actually dessert. And don’t forget the honey mustard dipping sauce (which was always my favorite at Red Robin, who’s with me?) All you need is dairy free vanilla yogurt with a little bit of turmeric powder and chia seeds.
For the fries, we went a little healthier here with crinkle cut apple slices lightly coated with cinnamon and a strawberry/raspberry coulis dipping sauce that mocks ketchup.
You know what would be even funnier? If you got a fast food bag to serve it in. What a hoot! <–I said hoot; that’s so my mom. Oh, and don’t forget to watch this quick video to see how exactly to make this. It’s so easy, I promise, you’ll be done faster than you can say brussel sprouts.
Come have some fun and check out how to make this April Fools Day dinner idea:Print
- 1 c. marshmallows (vegan, if needed)
- 1 1/2 c. gluten free brown rice cereal
- 1 Tbsp. dairy free butter
- 1 1/2 c. gluten free pretzels, finely crushed
- 1 c. dairy free white chocolate
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
Honey Mustard Sauce:
- 1/4 c. dairy free vanilla yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds
- turmeric powder
- 2 apples
- 1/4 c. frozen strawberries
- 1/4 c. frozen raspberries
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 1 lemon wedge
- Melt the nondairy butter and marshmallows in a sauce pan over medium low heat. Remove from heat and add the brown rice cereal. Mix until the marshmallows have evenly coated the cereal. You want your brown rice cereal treats to be sticky enough to still work with. If still too sticky add a little more brown rice cereal. Allow to cool briefly.
- Shape into chick’n nugget form. You should get around a dozen or so.
- Combine the ingredients for the honey mustard sauce.
- Using a crinkle cutter, slice the apples into french fries. Watch the video tutorial here to see how I do it. Place in a plastic baggie with a few shakes of cinnamon and shake until well-coated.
- For the ketchup, place all of the ingredients together in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove and blend until smooth. You can either sieve out of the seeds or keep them in there. Allow to cool.
I got one order of Chick’n Nuggets and Fries, coming up. Ding!