Ever since I could remember, my siblings and I had to fend for ourselves after school every day. Both of my parents worked hard for our family so it wasn’t uncommon to walk home from the bus stop and have a huge chunk of time where I was alone before my parents got home to get whatever done I saw fit. Let’s be honest, food was top of my list. Hey, I had hard days at school. I needed to refuel!
RELATED: PB Celery Reindeer Sticks
Snacks were always a priority for me after school and since my 11 year old self was in charge of figuring it out, you better believe that I was not making the smartest choices. Like, ever, really. In fact, I lived in a town that had a Main Street literally across the street from mine and I would walk down to the local grocery store and usually buy a bag of chips, a candy bar, and a can of soda. I gave the original meaning of snacks on snacks on snacks. I think my family is still shocked when they see that I not only enjoy cooking but have a good idea on how to properly feed myself. Heck, *I’m* shocked by it.
RELATED: Celery and Seed Butter Mason Jars
Needless to say, there weren’t a plate of these Peanut Butter Celery Owls waiting for me on a table once I got home from school. But I can imagine that if my mom was still alive, she’d had wished she could have made these for me simply because she would have thought they were just “So fun and oh-so-cool!” (Those are her words and I can still hear her voice saying them while flicking her fingernails). Sigh. I miss her deeply.
Refuel your kid’s energy after school with a creative twist on this classic yet protein-packed snack idea of Peanut Butter Celery Owls.Print
Peanut Butter Celery Owls
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 6 Celery Owls 1x
- 6 large celery sticks
- 3 Tbsp. peanut butter, creamy and natural*
- 60 almond slices (10 per celery owl)
- 6 red grapes
- 12 homemade googly eyes
- 1 baby carrot
- Slather 2 tsp of peanut butter per celery stick.
- Thinly slice out 2 eyes per red grape. Place at the top of the celery stick.
- Place 8 almond slices on each of the celery sticks for the feathers, adding 2 small ones for the eyebrows.
- Make 5 slices of the baby carrot and quarter each slice. You should have 20 triangles (2 extra). Place one triangle for the nose and two for the feet.
- Place the googly eyes on top of the grapes and serve immediately**
*If your little ones have a nut allergy, simply replace the peanut butter with your favorite seed butter. As for the almond slices, use pumpkin or sunflower seeds.
**If you plan on not serving immediately, wait to put the eyes on.
- Serving Size: 1 Celery Owl
- Calories: 50
- Sugar: 0.9g
- Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 1.8g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Protein: 2g
RELATED: Peanut Butter Witches Fingers
Peanut Butter Celery Owls recipe notes:
1. If your kid/s have an allergy to nuts, you can replace the peanut butter with your favorite seed butter. Use pumpkin, pepita, or sunflower seeds for the almond slices.
2. Don’t place the googly eyes on top of the grape slices until you are ready to serve them. If you want an alternative to the eyes, you can always use blueberries.
[…] 7. Peanut Butter Celery Owls […]