When Brooke sent me this recipe to convert into a gluten, egg, and dairy-free treat, I had never heard of such a thing. A concept completely new to me: a date stuffed with pecans, rolled into a cream cheese dough, baked and then dusted with powdered sugar.
I had absolutely no idea of what to expect from a heated date and non-sugary dough but once these puppies hit the oven, the smells that were coming from my kitchen were heavenly. Brooke warned me that the insides of the dates were hot as hades once they came out of the oven and to let them cool off but since I’m never good at listening, I ate 5 of them with delicacy.
It’s safe to say that allowing them to cool not only saves your mouth but the flavors and sweetness really settle in if you let them sit for a good 15 minutes after baking. Make sure you dip them in tons of powdered sugar. It’s too irresistable not to!
Date-Cream Cheese Roll Ups
Yield: about 60
Gluten, egg, and dairy-free
See Brooke’s orginial recipe here
- 1 c. vegan butter
- 1/2 lb vegan cream cheese
- 2 c. gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1/2 t Salt
- Powdered sugar (for sprinkling)
- Medjool dates (pitted), approx 60
- finely chopped pecans
- Cream butter and cream cheese. Sift flour and salt. Beat into butter mixture. Chill for several hours.
- Roll into 1/8 inch thickness parchment paper (tape down to ensure it won’t go anywhere), sprinkled with powdered sugar. Cut into 1X3 inch strips.
- Cut the top off each date and take the pit out if still intact. I found it easiest by using a pair of kitchen scissors to access the pit and pulling it out. Fill center of dates with finely chopped pecans and place date on each strip and roll up.
- Place cut side down on cookie sheet. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with massive amounts of powdered sugar.