Julia Child said to never apologize for what you put on the table for your guests. Always smile and never give away that you made a mistake. Chances are, they will never know anyway…
I’m breaking her rule right now by admitting that as I attempted to duplicate Brooke’s Cranberry Bars, I wanted to make them fancy in ramekins. I unfortunately either didn’t wait long enough for the bars to set or I did something incorrectly. Regardless, this mistake created an amazing crumble.
*Pushing the Crumble in front of you, smiling a big ol’ toothy smile*
Cranberry Cheese Crumble
Converted from Brooke’s Merry Berry Cheese Bars
Gluten, egg, and dairy-free
Makes 10 small 3″ ramekin-filled Crumbles *or* approx 12 large bars
- 2 c. gluten-free flour mix
- 1 1/2 c. oatmeal
- 3/4 c + 1 Tb firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 c. vegan butter, softened
- 1 (8oz) package vegan cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 c. non-dairy milk
- 4 Tbs powdered sugar
- 1/4 c lemon juice
- 8 oz store bought cranberry sauce (I used Trader Joe’s brand and used 3/4 of the jar. Brooke has a great homemade recipe if you cannot find jarred cranberry sauce here)
- 2 Tbs corn starch
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- With mixer, beat flour, oats, 3/4 c. sugar and butter until crumbly. Set aside 1 1/2 c. mixture; press remaining mixture on bottom of greased 13X9 inch baking pan.
- Bake 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- With mixer, beat cheese until fluffy. Gradually beat in non-dairy milk and powdered sugar until smooth. Stir in lemon juice.
- Spread over baked crust.
- Combine cranberry sauce, cornstarch, and remaining 1 Tb sugar. Spoon over cheese layer. Top with reserved mixture.
- Bake 45 minutes or until golden.
- Cool and cut into bars. Refrigerate leftovers.
Veggie V! @ Veggie V's Vegan Adventure
I’m forwarding this recipe to a friend. This is right up her alley!
Thanks for all of your creative ideas 🙂
For meeee? Why, thank you! 😀
I love your banner!
There was a mistake? The crumbles look awesome! Smiling right back at you. 🙂
I will take that smile, gladly! xo
jaime @ sweet road
This looks like a great for a holiday dinner party or even just to have around when family comes to visit.
Or to even eat all alone before anyone gets to your place 🙂
Boy, you really know how to make a good mistake! These are pretty as can be and sound so delicious!
I wish that all my mistakes tasted this good 😉 Thank you, Spree!! xo
everything you make looks so divine… and festive too! 🙂
And everything you say brightens my day!
Yum! And your pictures are gorgeous:)
That is so kind of you–thank you for this comment! xo
You hook me in with cranberries and then pull out the soy. Tease.
Seriously, they look amazing!! and if I ever get around to making a non-soy cream cheese, I’m there!
Make a cashew-based cream cheese!!! 🙂
I like the ramekin idea! I think they look deliciously fantastic.
Thank you 😉 I can never say no to a ramekin filled with crumble…
I’ve got some homemade cranberry sauce and half a tub of vegan cream cheese in my fridge…looks like there’s gonna be some cranberry cheese crumble for dessert tonight. Oh yeah baby!
Suzanne @ RollWithIt
‘Pushing the Crumble in front of you, smiling a big ol’ toothy smile’ HA! I love it! Hmmmm, these look soooo good!
hehehe. I like the image of a toothy smile…
Have ingredients. Need ramekins. Looks wonderful, marvelous, even stupendous.(That’s probably because you are wonderful, marvelous and stupendous even.) Excuse me, I’m off to start my xmas list. SWAK!!!
Looks like someone needs to ask Santa for some ramekins, my wonderful, marvelous, and stupendous friend!
Brooke (Crackers on the Couch)
Looks great to me! What mistake?
Not exactly in solid form but a great crumble none-the-less… You are right, what mistake?
Who needs bars when you’ve got crumble? So good Cara!
I’ve been saying that all my life, Somer. ha
haha! hey, do me a favor and check out my truck stop potatoes today, I think you’ll freak out! xx
they look beautiful! no need to apologize over here!!
I take it back then 🙂
You are such an inspiration!
That is so seriously kind of you to say. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. xo