Since I just entered into this new world of homemade gluten-free vegan bread, I’m on a kick.
A “do whatever recipe I can think of that incorporates bread in it” sort of kick. This means that you should be expecting lots of sandwich recipes for the days to come, by the way. Be prepared.
A very talented dear heart that I am honored to know and work with made the request for me to do vegan French Toast. Two years ago I tried to make a vegan French Toast with a mashed banana and non-dairy milk and was not pleased with the results. I mean, what would I expect from just a mashed banana? I hadn’t returned back to it until yesterday.
Though I liked the idea of using a banana, I knew that it wasn’t enough when I tried to do it again with non-dairy milk and the bread slices got too soggy. So I got to the kitchen and tried blending in some flour within the mix–a mild almond flour that would not only absorb the liquid nicely but impart a lovely flavor. If you are allergic to nuts, replace with oat, brown rice, coconut, or even millet flour. Really, any flour will do. Then I tried adding cornstarch because I knew it too would help thicken the mix up a bit and it would help with the crust around the bread slice. Throw some cinnamon and nutmeg, a little bit of almond and vanilla extract to hide the banana flavor and wouldn’t you know: French Toast!
Looking for an even crispier toast? In a shallow dish next to the “egg” mix, finely crush up a gluten-free vegan cereal with pack a big crunch to it (think along the lines of something similar to Chex or Bran Flakes in texture). Dip the slice of bread into the egg wash and then the crushed cereal. Place in the skillet and cook as directed. I have yet to try this but as I write this post it is occurring to me that this will be fabulous. It sounds divine really and I just might make it for breakfast tomorrow.
- 6 slices of gluten-free vegan bread (see beginning of the post for the recipe)
- 1/2 medium-sized banana
- 4 Tbsp. non-dairy milk
- 3 Tbsp. almond flour
- 1 heaping tsp. cornstarch (or tapioca starch)
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- dash nutmeg
- In a high-speed blender, mix everything together until it is smooth. Place into a shallow bowl and allow it to sit for 5 minutes.
- Heat a medium-sized skillet on medium-high heat. To check that it's hot enough, place a small slab of vegan butter into the pan. If it begins to sizzle, then you are ready to go.
- Gently dip each slice of bread into the "egg" wash--do not allow it to sit in the wash, you want to do this quickly since this isn't a real egg wash that will firm up on the skillet. Cook on each side for about 3 minutes until a deep brown is created.
- Serve with vegan butter, syrup, fresh berries, powdered sugar, nuts, etc.