Do I have a fun Easter meal idea for you! Okay, wait stop, this doesn’t feel right. All these Easter posts as of late and I’m trying to find a way to fit this recipe in. The truth is that it isn’t shaped as an egg, it doesn’t look like a bunny, and it’s not filled with sugar. BUT you can’t live off of sugar alone (and the Universe knows that I need a break every once in a while with baking!) so this is quite timely..and quite delicious too! (I cannot get enough of these). These Fresh Vegan Spring Rolls (with a Peanut Dipping Sauce) might even be the treat to leave the Easter Bunny the night before…
That’s not a bad idea, really. I think I’m going to start a tradition of that when I start having kids. I mean come on, bunnies gotta love Spring Rolls too, right? I will mark that down as another genius idea by yours truly (read sarcasm here).
*Please note the ingredients for the Fresh Vegan Spring Rolls are approximate, simply based off of preference. Feel free to add or decrease as you please.
- 6 rice paper sheets
- approx. 1 c. soaked bean threads (place dry threads into a bowl and pour hot water over them. Allow to soak for 5 minutes).
- 2 carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1 cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- ½ c. red leaf lettuce (or lettuce of choice)
- ¼ c. cilantro
- Following the instructions in the post, place the noodles, carrots, and cucumber on the soaked rice paper.
- Place the lettuce and cilantro on top.
- Roll from the side closest to you, folding over the left and right side halfway through (again, please consult the post for the full directions).
- Repeat until each roll has been made.
Put the noodles, chopped carrots and cucumber in the middle towards the side closest to you. There is no need to stuff these with too many goodies. A little goes a long way. For my personal preference, I like to put about three sticks of carrots and cucumbers in each roll.
Place five or so lettuce leaves and a generous tablespoon (again, depends of preference) of cilantro on top. You are now ready to roll this baby. Ready? Here we go!
Okay this part is super easy so don’t feel intimidated. Take the side closest to you and pull it over the stuffin’, making sure that the edge reaches around to the other side of the goodies, securing them in its place. The paper should be sticky enough where it will stay put.
Take the left side and fold it over. Repeat with the right side. You are on your way to making your own Spring Roll burrito! Chipotle will be calling you, it’s only a matter of time…
Finish the rolling by…well, rolling it completely. You, my friend, are an official Spring Roller. Hooray!
Here are your ingredients for the Spicy Peanut Dipping sauce:
- ½ c. peanut butter (almond or sunbutter works too)
- ¼ c. rice vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. gluten-free soy sauce
- 2-3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. garlic chili sauce
- 1-2 Tbsp. nondairy milk
- In a medium bowl combine all the ingredients (except for the nondairy milk) together until smooth. Add the milk last by the tablespoon and adjust to the correct creamy consistency that you particularly like. Also adjust flavors according to preference (ie: does it need more sweetness? more spicy? etc.)
When I dip, you dip, we dip…
Happy Spring Rolling, friends!