It’s beginning to feel like the television show Tosh.O over here. For each season he introduces his new wardrobe theme. This season it’s the Season of Brad where he dresses like a different character from a different movie of Brad Pitt’s. From the obvious to the obscure it’s always a fun suspense to see what new theme will be introduced. Now don’t get any ideas, I’m not dressing up. I am simply implying the various themes that have been going on here recently. From The Cinco de Mayo Party to The Seafood Bake, it’s now time for the beginning of a new season here: Picnic Season. And it’s going on all month long!
The great thing about picnics are the canvas of creativity they possess. It expands far beyond sandwiches and cold macaroni salad (but even for those who cannot eat gluten, eggs, or dairy, finding great-tasting sandwiches and cold macaroni salads can be a creative endeavor after all). As the weather begins to warm up, it’s time to pack up a blanket and stuff those baskets this time with donuts. It’s a breakfast picnic here at Fork & Beans and what better way to celebrate than with a bag of gluten-free vegan powdered sugar and chocolate-frosted mini donuts and a big thermos full of cold almond milk?
- 1½ c. Cara's All Purpose Blend
- ½ tsp. xanthan gum
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ c. brown sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ½ c. nondairy milk of choice
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1½ tsp. Ener-G egg replacer + 2 Tbsp. warm water, mixed until frothy
- ¼ c. vegetable oil
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a mini donut pan (or you can use a regular-sized donut pan. That will yield 10 donuts).
- In a medium bowl mix dry ingredients together until fully combined. Make a well in the center of the bowl and add all the remainder of wet ingredients. Stir with a wooden spoon until just incorporated and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Stir again briefly.
- Place the donut batter into a large plastic baggie. Cut the corner of one side to use as an opening. Pour out the batter into the pan. The more intact it stays, the better the results in the end. The batter should fill up to about ⅔ of the circle and will rise just above the pan.
- Bake 8 minutes. Allow to slightly cool in the pan for 2-3 minutes and then cool on a wire rack.
Now that we have the gluten-free vegan donuts made, let’s frost and coat them! First stop: Powdered Sugar. Take 2 tablespoons of vegan butter and melt it in a microwave-safe bowl. In another bowl place 1 cup of powdered sugar inside. Take the cooled donuts, one at a time, and gently dip into the melted butter (as seen below). Use a fork to lift it from the butter and allow the excess melted butter to drip off. Place the donut into the sugar and fully coat.
This will coat the entire 20 mini donuts that you made. OR if you are feeling a bit sassy (and I know you are!) you can reserve half of the donuts for the powdered donuts and the other half for chocolate-frosted donuts. Let’s go…
Take one bowl full of 1 cup of nondairy chocolate chips. Place into the microwave and heat up for one minute, stopping at each 30 second mark to stir the chocolate and make sure that it is just melted and isn’t getting burned. Place 1 heaping tablespoon of either non-hydrogenated shortening or coconut oil into the chocolate and stir until it is melted as well. It should be a nice glossy color. Place one donut at a time into the bowl and gently coat completely with the chocolate. Allow to set on a baking sheet lined with a piece of wax paper. If you are impatient like I am, you can place them into a freezer for the chocolate to set quicker.
Once your donuts are ready to go throw them into a brown paper bag, fill two to-go cups with cold almond milk (or nondairy milk of choice), two straws, maybe even some coffee, a newspaper, a blanket, and grab your loved one for a stroll in the park with breakfast in hand.
Need to substitute your gluten-free flours to fit your needs? Check out this post to help you figure out what will best suit your preferences. Any other questions? Ask away!
Now go enjoy your picnic breakfast to-go!