There have been several spottings and postings of Halloween Oreos all over social media in the past couple of weeks–stores are stocking up on these fun-filled cookies and so are my friends. There is a part of me that gets all delighted and stuff because, well, it’s Halloween season. But then I am quickly reminded that I am unable to partake in those delicious celebratory cookies. Good thing I wrote a cookbook (Decadent Gluten-Free Vegan Baking) with a gluten-free vegan Oreo recipe. All I needed to do was turn the white filling into an orange glow (I used this food coloring which is gluten-free and vegan). Piece of cake! (or cookie…)
- 2½ c. Cara's All-Purpose Blend
- ½ c. dark cocoa powder (or use regular cocoa powder)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 6 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 6 Tbsp. non-hydrogenated shortening
- 2 Tbsp. nondairy milk
- 1 Tbsp. molasses
- 1¼ c. powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp. non-hydrogenated shortening
- few drops of gluten-free vegan orange food coloring
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until a nice dough forms. It might be a little crumbly; simply place the dough on a piece of parchment paper and gently knead until a smooth ball if formed.
- Roll between two pieces of parchment paper until approximately ¼" thick. Cut into circles with a 2" cookie cutter.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes. Allow to fully cool.
- With an electric mixer, combine all the ingredients for the filling until it becomes thick and smooth.
- Using a spatula, scrape the cream into a plastic baggie. Make a slit in one corner and thickly distribute the cream in a circular motion onto one cookies. Gently sandwich another cookie on top.
I also felt like these needed a special touch, you know, sometimes it’s comforting if your cookies look like they are store-bought. Is that a weird thing to say? Well, it’s how I feel so I bought a cookie pan that forms them into the shapes that you see. Made me feel a little better, thank you very much.
Check out my cookbook for more gluten-free vegan goodies. You just might be happy that you did!
hint, hint; wink, wink; nudge, nudge…and anything else I can do to convince you. Do I smell Stocking Stuffers? Maybe that’s too early. What about treats for your Trick-or-Treaters? Okay, I’m going now…