I’m going to make this short and sweet because 1). I’m in Indiana currently to visit my mom and 2). It’s my birthday, so needless to say, I have birthday cake to make and snow coating the ground to watch. Sorry Healthy Green Bean Casserole, you’re not getting much of an intro because I gots things to do. But I will say that this is a MUST MAKE for Thanksgiving dinner.
It’s unbelievable and if I could indulge in mushrooms at this time of my new diet I totally would stuff my face with this dish (screw Thanksgiving, I’d eat it tonight!) It is so flavorful and so creamy despite the fact that it is dairy free, no one and I mean no one at your dinner table would ever guess that it is actually vegan.
May you be blessed with vegan green bean casserole this season and may your children grow to love this lusty dish that will spread the holiday cheer without having to say a word.
- 3 c. fresh green beans, trimmed and cut in half and boiled in water until just tender
- 1 c. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp. garbanzo flour (or coconut flour for Paleo option)
- 1 c. unsweetened nondairy milk
- 1 c. vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 shallot, sliced (for topping)
- In a skillet over medium heat, saute the olive oil, shallots and garlic until lightly browned. Add the mushrooms and heat up until tender.
- Sift in the gluten-free flour of choice and mix into mushroom, garlic, and onions. Cook for 30 seconds. Add the nondairy milk and broth. Whisk until smooth.
- Add nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat until the sauce has thickened, stirring continuously.
- Add the green beans until completely coated and warm for 5 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, coat the bottom layer with olive oil until heated. Add the sliced shallots and cook until nicely browned and crisp.
- Top the casserole with crispy shallots.
Amen, amen, and amen. Now if you’ll excuse me I have Paleo Chocolate Cake to bake, enjoy and savor every bite. While I do that, next week you have this entire gluten free Thanksgiving spread to look forward to!