Sometimes you need something disgusting and repulsive to celebrate Halloween and since this is my first post to kick-off the season, I figured I’d go all-out gross. What better way to say HAPPY HALLOWEEN SEASON, EVERYBODY!” than with homemade Halloween Candy Sushi?! Made with brown rice cereal treats and topped with gummy body parts, this ultra creepy dessert is guaranteed to repulse yet delight your family with fright.
RELATED: Green Monster Rice Krispie Treats
It makes me think of when my love of Halloween first began. It was 2nd grade for me at a Halloween party. There were two tables set up with various bowls that we got to explore with our eyes closed and imagine what was inside. One was full of cooked spaghetti that felt like brains and the other was grapes that mimicked eye balls. I remember being fascinated by the textures as I kept my eyes closed and allowed my imagination to take over and truly believe that the bowls were full of body parts. I was full of wonder when I opened my eyes and saw it was just spaghetti and grapes. It was that moment when I can remember the power of imagination and what a little creativity could do to the mind. It’s something that, even 30 years later, I still hold dearly onto.
I think if they served Halloween Candy Sushi topped with tiny worms, that just might have really taken me into heaven. I was a weird kid. I loved being creeped out. I would have totally dug this dessert treat!
RELATED: Creepy Crudite Platter
Now it’s time to create memories for your kids. Who knows? Maybe one day they will be writing their own blog, talking about how when their parents made them Halloween Candy Sushi as being the day they fell in love with Halloween. If that happens, promise me you will write me.
- 1 Tbsp. dairy free butter
- 1 c. marshmallows
- 1½ c. brown rice cereal
- 2 fruit roll-ups
- 12 gummy candies
- ¼ c. chocolate sprinkles
- 1 Tbsp. green ball sprinkles
- Melt the butter over low heat in a medium saucepan.
- Once melted, add the marshmallows. Stir often until melted completely.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cereal with a wooden spoon until completely coated. Allow to cool slightly.
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper.
- Place 12 heaping tablespoons of the cereal marshmallow mix on the baking sheet. Make sure your hands are greased up with cooking spray to keep from sticking and form six balls into an oval shape and the other six into circles with the middle slightly indented in.
- Cover the sides of each "sushi" shaped in a circle with the fruit roll-up. Dip the sides of the oval shapes into chocolate sprinkles to look like black sesame seeds.
- Place the gummy candies on the top.
Halloween Candy Sushi notes:
1. If you are looking for gelatin free gummy candies, try using Surf Sweets worms. Or you can make your own with this gummy recipe using agar (just use creepy candy molds for a Halloween flair).
2. Annie’s fruit roll-ups are a great option for the “seaweed” rind. That is what I used and they were easy to apply.
3. I found the gummy candies at Target as well as a candy shop. The green ball sprinkles I found at Michael’s.
This is just the beginning of Halloween season so pace yourself. It’s about to get REAL GOOD over here! Until then, you can browse this Halloween section to prepare you for what’s to come…