Today I’m visiting an incredible blogger friend Sarah of Sarah Bakes Gluten-Free and I really wanted to make her an ultra-special treat. What better way to spread baking cheer than with homemade gluten free vegan Oatmeal Cream Pies? I knew that you would agree.
RELATED: GF/Vegan Moon Pies
I’m surprised it has taken me this long to recreate Oatmeal Cream Pies. Probably because they weren’t really my thing as kid (which is surprising because you could have put frosting and sprinkles on a stale piece of bread and I would have eaten it). I was a sucker for all-things processed and I won’t lie, I still battle a war with my deep need for potato chips. Let’s put it in simpler terms: There really is no battle–I just eat them often.
Making the cookies was a simple task. Most baked goods follow its own ingredient guidelines so the oatmeal cookies for me were easy. The cream filling part however had a bit of a trick to them. First off, I had to remember what the filling used to taste like (I have a very bad memory). I tried doing a shortening and powdered sugar filling like you would find in homemade Oreos but that didn’t sit right. So I started to look around to see what others had done which I found a common denominator: Marshmallow Fluff. I’m not about to buy a tub of vegan marshmallow crème to only have the remainder sit unused so that option was out. But I did have a plan B.
Marshmallows. Melted, sticky, gooey: the perfect adhesive to these gluten free vegan Oatmeal Cream Pies!
RELATED: Giant Oatmeal Chocolate Chip CookiePrint
- 1/4 c. non-hydrogenated shortening
- 1/4 c. vegan butter
- 3/4 c. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. flaxseed meal + 2 Tbsp. water – thickened for 5 minutes
- 2 tsp. molasses
- 1 c. Cara’s gluten-free flour blend
- 1 1/4 c. rolled oats
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
For the Cream Filling:
- 1 1/2 c. Dandies vegan marshmallows
- 1 Tbsp. vegan butter
- 3 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease or line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream together the vegan butter, shortening, and sugar together with an electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Beat in the flaxseed meal “egg” and molasses.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Pour 1/3 of the flour mix into the creamed sugar mix and stir with a wooden spoon. Repeat until completely blended in.
- Roll 1 heaping tablespoon of cookie dough into a ball and place onto the baking sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes and allow to cool slightly before transferring to a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan, melt the marshmallows and butter together over low heat. Add the powdered sugar and stir in until combined. Quickly spoon onto one cookie and then sandwich together with another cookie.
Gluten free vegan Oatmeal Cream Pies recipe notes:
- Please note that these cookies have a crunchier bite. If you want a softer cookie, use shortening in place of the vegan butter.
- Have any questions about flour substitutions? Glad you asked, I wrote a instructional post on Guide to Gluten-Free Flours just for you and all your gluten free flour questions.