Bring the first meal of the day back to life with these easy-to-make Southwestern Tofu Breakfast Quesadillas (that happen to be gluten free as well). Stuffed with creamy, buttery scrambled tofu “eggs,” black beans, salsa, and the optional nondairy cheese between a grain free tortilla, these breakfast quesadillas are packed with protein and flavor. It’s a very fun brunch option for the plant-based family (or any family looking to expand into more plant-based recipes).
In order to make these super pliable gluten free (nut and egg free too!) tortillas, you need to follow this homemade grain free tortilla recipe. There is no substitute for the cassava flour used so if you don’t want to purchase the flour then you can use brown rice tortilla wraps. The only issue with that is they are not very bendable. Like, at all, so you might have some issues assembling the breakfast quesadillas together. When in doubt, buy the flour and make the tastiest gluten free tortillas you have ever had. And only 4 ingredients. Okay, I will move on…
The “egg” base is from my Scrambled Tofu “Eggs” recipe and they are such a great stuffing for this breakfast, you and your family are going to be delighted!Print
Southwestern Tofu Breakfast Quesadillas
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 4 Breakfast Quesadillas 1x
- 4 grain free tortillas
- 1 recipe Scrambled Tofu “eggs”
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 c. cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1/2 of a lime, juiced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, minced
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
- Make the tortillas ahead but don’t brown them as much, leaving them less cooked. Keep warm in a tortilla warmer.
- Follow the Scrambled Tofu “eggs” as stated but add the black beans before you add the vegetable broth (see the recipe for reference) just to heat them up. Add the tomatoes, garlic, and onion powder. Drizzle with the lime juice and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a skillet up on high heat. Slather with a little nondairy butterand place one of the tortillas on the skillet. Fill half of the side of the tortilla with the black beans and tofu egg scramble. Drizzle with a little nondairy cheese (optional) just to keep the sides sticking together. Fold over the over half of the tortilla and then carefully flip over. Cook until the nondairy cheese is melted or the tortilla is browned to preference.
- Slice in half and serve with your favorite salsa.
Great use of tofu. This recipe looks delicious 🙂
I struggled to make the dough. The given water measurement left a bowl of crumbs. Added, and kneaded water into dough till smooth, not sticky. Really keep these smallish, and thin. Thanks for making my family’s table more interesting.
The Vegan Junction
These are perfect. Thank you! I love the scamble inside quesadilla wraps. They’ll go great with salsa.
They look great! I bet they would be a great party in your mouth. I haven’t had a huge lot of success making wraps at home that are bendable either!
How has this idea never occurred to me?! This is genius. Definitely going into the breakfast rotation!