Skip the store bought packets of chocolate powder and make your own Hot Chocolate Spoons from chocolate chips. They take 25 minutes to put together (freezing time included) and they make for the richest and creamiest hot chocolate town. Marshmallows included! Just melt chocolate baking chips, freeze, and now you have leftovers for the week.
You don’t even need spoons to make these, though they really do come in handy as you are removing them from the ice cube molds (plus, the recipe IS called Hot Chocolate Spoons, after all. But that is besides the point). You can use any of the following:
- Plastic spoons
- Silver spoons
- wooden spoons, too!
- popsicle sticks
- caramel apple sticks
- nothing at all
Check out how simple it is to create your own Hot Chocolate Spoons. I made a photo tutorial for you to use and follow by:
If you don’t have the square-shaped ice cube molds that I used, no problem! Here is a list of other ways to create your own Hot Chocolate Spoons mold:
- regular ice cube tray
- muffin tin
- cupcake liners
Do note that if you deviate from the instructions, the amount of milk you need to add will vary. I used approximately 1/3 cup of the melted chocolate for each mold and that creates 2 serving sizes with 1 1/2 cups of milk. Just keep that in mind!
- 1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 c. milk chocolate chips
- mini marshmallows
- 6 plastic or wooden spoons
- 1 silicone square-shaped ice mold*
- Place the chocolate into a microwave safe bowl.
- Melt on high for approximately 2 minutes, stopping at 30 second increments to stir. Remove from microwave when you notice the chocolate is almost completely melted. Allow to sit for a minute and stir.
- Place 1/3 c. of the melted chocolate into each compartment of the ice cube mold.
- Add mini marshmallows to the top and gently press down to make sure all the marshmallows are touching the chocolate.
- Add the spoons to the middle of each mold.
- Place in the freezer for 15-20 minutes or until completely set.
- Heat up 2 c. of whole milk (or milk of choice) in a small sauce pan over medium heat for a few minutes. Once heated, pour into a large mug and melt the hot chocolate spoon until smooth. Makes 2 servings for 1 spoon.
*Please read post for using a different mold.
For each hot chocolate spoon, use 1 1/2 c. milk.
Now go warm up those fingers with a warm cup of homemade hot cocoa using your DIY Hot Chocolate Spoons. And please, don’t forget the mini marshmallows. You’ll need extra because the ones you put in the mold tend to dissolve in the warm milk.