Green mint chocolate chip pancakes, yes please! These pancakes are a great way to bring a little green into your life whether that’s for a picky eater, or just to bring in the luck of the Irish for a St. Patrick’s Day breakfast. Try not to lick your plate clean, the pancakes are minty fresh but the green color comes from a little sneaky spinach!
RELATED: Matcha Pancakes
While I never claim to be full blooded Irish, I do have a little bit of Irish heritage which totally makes me qualified to make green yummy pancakes. Or at least I’ll keep telling myself that. I bet a leprechaun would stop in his tracks for a plate pile high with green mint chocolaty chip pancakes. So when you’re making your green pancakes, you want to get your minty green slurry together. I’ve mixed some spinach for color, and some mint extract for flavor.
You could totally use fresh mint to if you have it. Whatever you choose, remember mint can be a pretty strong flavor and scent so you want to go a little easy on it. I wish I could have told myself that before I accidentally dumped over the whole bottle, my entire kitchen smelled like mint and I had to wash my kitchen rug. I suppose there are worse things to smell like!
Mix your dry ingredients together, and then add in the wet ingredients to the mix. That’s going to include your green slurry and your items like your milk of choice and egg.
You can use a flax egg substitute in these pancakes, just expect they will be a little less fluffy (or use aquafaba for a lighter option). I highly recommend using a whisk to get out all of the lumps from those mint chocolate chip pancakes, cause no one likes a lumpy pancake. A spatula just doesn’t seem to quite get them all. After your mint chocolate chip pancake batter is nice and green, you can fold in your chocolate chips. Just like cookie dough, you want to leave those bad boys to the end so they stay in nice little chocolate chunks.
I’ve used Enjoy Life chocolate chips in this batch, but you can use your favorites. Work in small batches, pancakes cook quickly! As soon as the first side starts bubbling, you want to give these green pancakes a nice little flip. Also don’t forget the first round of pancakes always cooks a little slower, they seem to speed up the further you move along in the batch. Or I am just an impatient leprechaun and don’t let the pan heat completely. Either way your second and third round of mint chocolate chip pancakes will likely brown faster!
RELATED: Rainbow Pancake Tacos
Mint Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 12-14 Palm-sized pancakes 1x
- 1 c. of fresh spinach
- 1 c. almond milk, divided into quarter cups
- 1 tsp. mint extract
- 1 1/2 c. of all purpose flour (or all purpose GF flour)
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbsp honey (or maple syrup)
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla
- 1 large egg (or 1/4 c. aquafaba or 1 Tbsp flax meal + 4 Tbsp water)
- 1/3 c. Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
- Blend ¼ cup of almond milk, 1 cup of spinach and min extract in a blender.
- In a bowl combine flour and baking powder well.
- In a second bowl whisk together honey, olive oil, vanilla and egg.
- Combine wet ingredients and spinach mixture with flour and baking powder. Whisk well until all lumps are gone. Gently fold in chocolate chips with spatula.
- Heat frying pan on medium heat. Working in small batches, use a quarter cup measuring cup to add pancake batter onto hot pan. Each side will take 1-2 minutes. Flip when pancake begins to bubble.
- Continue to work in small batches until pancakes are finished. Sprinkle with extra chocolate chips if desired and enjoy!
RELATED: Shamrock Shakes
Happy St Patricks Day! Do these green mint chocolate chip pancakes count the same as wearing green? I sure hope so!
This post is written by FnB contributor, Kristy Richardson
Looking for more meal and snack inspiration for kids, and maybe a few laughs alongthe way? Kristy is ever-so funny gal over at the blog, On My Kids Plate, helping families live better with fun and ideas that help you make more memories with your kids. You can follow her on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, or join in her Facebook group for picky eaters.
My first thought about the image is the matcha pancakes but omg it’s a mint one 😮 It’s like I can feel the cool fresh flavor of this pancake!
Gonna try it for sure xD
Chocolate and mint is like THE flavor combo of human history 😉
I totally agree with you!!! xD