Skip the tortillas and fill these bell peppers with a south-of-the-border filling for an easy 30 minute dinner! These Mexican Stuffed Peppers are a clever way to get more veggies into your family’s bellies, plus, the bell peppers make for a new way to celebrate your next Taco Tuesday.
RELATED: Lasagna Stuffed Peppers
This version of Mexican Stuffed Peppers happens to be vegetarian but you can easily replace the meatless crumbles with ground turkey meat or beef. Whatever your family likes, use that! This dinner is full of easy substitutions:
- Use pinto beans instead of black beans (or no beans at all!)
- Top with dairy free shredded cheese to make 100% vegan.
- Sub out ground turkey meat, beef, or lentils for the meatless crumbles.
RELATED: Monster Bell Pepper Salad Cups
The best part is that this meal can be ready in 30 minutes! Want to prep ahead of time? Easy! Make the filling the night before, cover in a bowl and chill overnight. Once you are ready to bake these Mexican Stuffed Peppers, remove the filling, heat up either in the microwave or in a skillet until warmed, and then cook in the oven. Look at you, you dinner making GODDESS.
Mexican Stuffed PeppersPrint
Mexican Stuffed Peppers
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 6 Mexican Stuffed Pepper Halves 1x
- 3 bell peppers, sliced in half and deseeded
- 1/2 package meatless crumbles (or 1/2 lb ground meat of choice)
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 c. salsa
- handful cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 c. Mexican blend cheese
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Place each bell pepper half next to each other on a baking sheet.
- In a heated skillet over medium-high heat, brown the meatless crumbles and onion together for about 5 minutes or until warmed up.
- Add the spices, beans, salsa and cilantro and heat up for another 5 minutes or until completely warmed through. Season with salt to taste.
- Add the meat and beans mix into each bell pepper half and evenly distribute the cheese on top of each half.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Switch to broil for 5 minutes or until the cheese is nice and brown on the tops. Serve immediately.
RELATED: Stuffed Bell Peppers
Actually made these a while ago- i used meatless crumbles and added in some leftover roasted zucchini i needed to use up. Baked without the cheese, cooled, then wrapped well and froze them. Baked a few the other night from frozen- just took longer- and added some vegan sour cream when serving (didn’t have vegan cheese in hand). Each person had a half bell pepper and i made a salad with avocado, cucumber, cilantro, tomatoes and pumpkin seeds.
So good!! My omnivore guests totally loved it as much as i did :)) will certainly make again
I tried a different blogger’s recipe for stuffed peppers, and I have to say it wasn’t nearly as good as these ones look! Definitely pinning this and trying it with the kids soon!