Inspired by my Homemade Doritos, these vegan Jack-O-Lantern Doritos are the perfect way to say, What’s up Halloween?! this season. Made with healthy ingredients that are free from anything yucky and full of everything delicious, you can rest in peace that your mid-day snack is actually not going to clog your ateries.* I know that some of you might be looking at me like I am crazy that I actually carved Jack-O-Lantern faces into each chip. And to that I say, Yes I am crazy. It’s what gives me happiness. Forget shoe shopping, all I want to do is stand in my kitchen and carve out silly faces into my corn tortilla cut-outs.**
*The info is true however it’s more of my poor attempt at convincing myself that eating chips is, in fact, GOOD for you to do so on an everyday basis.
- 6 corn tortillas (make sure that these are on the thinner side--if not they will be crispy along the edges but a little chewier in the middle)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1½" biscuit cutter
- ¼ c. nutritional yeast, fine ground
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- ½ - 1 tsp. salt
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Line your baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
- Using a 1½"- sized biscuit cutter, make 7 circles out of each tortilla. Please note that if you use a larger cutter, you will get a lower amount of chips. Also, depending on the size of tortillas, it will also yield a different amount.
- Cut out Jack-O-Lantern faces per each chip.
- In a medium-sized bowl place the "chips" inside and drizzle the olive oil over them until each side and piece is nicely covered.
- Coat each chip with seasoning of choice by sprinkling the seasoning with a spoon over it, making sure that both sides are perfectly coated.
- Place on the baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes, rotating your pan at the 5 minute mark. You want the edges to be lightly browned but keep your eye on burning during the last 2 minutes. Allow to bake longer if they are not crispy enough.
- Allow to cool before thoroughly enjoying.
Look at that guy below. So happy. So young; so foolish. If only he knew that he was about to get dunked into a bowl of salsa.
Whoops, I think by the look on his face, he just figured out what is happening. Sorry Mr. Jack-O-Lantern Dorito chip man. It had to happen. You are too delicious not to do so.