Look, no one claimed that I was sane. I think I just proved this point by taking a stab at recreated a gluten-free vegan baked version of Cheetos. And what a delight I had doing so. Am I weirdo for giggling whilst piping out a Cheetos dough onto a baking sheet?
Do they taste exactly the same? As close as they can. Instead of a orange cheesy layer of processed chemicals, these baked Cheetos are coated with a layer of nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, garlic and onion powders with a sprinkle of salt. If you have had a taste of nutritional yeast, it has a great cheese-like flavor so it’s important that you use it and not substitute it out for any other ingredient. It does such a great job flavoring out my Homemade Baked Doritos recipe, I knew that it would do just fine with these Cheetos. I also took the general ingredients base from my Cheez-Its recipe and adapted it from there.
Do they have the same texture and bite as the original version. Well…no. Are they crunchy? They sure are! But are they airy like their original counterparts? No. These are a little more dense and crunchier but let’s be honest. They were delightfully good regardless. If anything it was just so much fun trying to recreate them.
- ¼ c. superfine brown rice flour
- ¼ c. sorghum flour
- ¼ c. potato starch (or use arrowroot, tapioca or corn starch--what you have)
- ¾ c. corn meal
- 3 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- ¾ tsp. xanthan gum
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. vegan butter
- ½ c. ice cold water (please note you will not be using all of it)
- 3 Tbsp. nutritional yeast, blended to small granules
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Cut the vegan butter in with the back of a fork until crumbly in the flour mix. Add the ice water by the tablespoon just until a nice dough ball is formed.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pipe the dough into 2" strings on the baking sheet. Bake for 12 minutes. Allow to cool slightly. Repeat with the remainder of the dough.
- Pour 2 Tbsp. olive oil into a shallow bowl and coat each Cheetos piece. Throw into a large plastic baggie and dump the cheezy coating. Seal and shake until completely coated.
- Place back onto the baking sheet and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Have something to say? I cannot wait hear from you! I so enjoy reading all of your comments and I try my best to respond to each and every one. Have you made any of my recipes? I would love to see a picture of it on Instagram!
Also, please note that Vegan MoFo begins Setember 1st so you will be hearing more from me this coming month. I’d say that I’m leaving my theme as a surprise but then again, if you have been following me for a while it’s no surprise really as to what theme I am choosing. To be continued and stay tuned…(cue spooky music)
P.S. Congrats to Amy Derton for winning the cookbook giveaway!