This is probably THE proudest moment in my life so far. I know what you must be thinking: “Making a food product is one of your prouder moments? Do you even get out?!” And the answer is no, no I do not. But just think what would happen if I did get out. I wouldn’t be able to have paved the way for you with these gluten free vegan Cheez-Its:
RELATED: Vegan Bettar Cheddars
And we shall call them: The tastiest snack in the world.
I’ll be working on that one. When I had the idea of re-creating one of my all-time favorite cheesy crackers into a gluten-free and veganized version I thought: Is is even possible…?
But is it…?
I don’t know…
So I did.
And let me tell you.
Proudest moment ever.
RELATED: Baked Vegan Doritos
Gluten free vegan Cheez-Its. They’re so good, you will really want to praise the heavens!
- ¾ c. Cara's All-Purpose Flour Blend
- ½ tsp. xanthan gum
- 1 c. Daiya vegan "cheese", cheddar flavored
- 3 Tbsp. nondairy butter, softened
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. ice water
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and cheese together until blended nicely with a hand mixer. You might have to smash the vegan cheeze with the back of a fork to get it to cooperate.
- Combine flour, xanthan gum and salt in a separate bowl until fully mixed together. Add ½ of the flour mixture into butter/cheese until blended. Add remaining ½ and mix well. Add ice water and stir, making sure all scraps on the sides of the bowl have been incorporated.
- Place ball of dough on a piece of parchment paper and lightly knead until a smooth ball is made. Divide dough in half and place half into a bowl and put in the fridge.
- Roll out other half with a rolling pin between two pieces of parchment paper. Roll thin (about ⅛" or so).
- With a pastry cutter, pattern out the shapes of the squares, going horizontally and diagonally. Make a little hole in the center of each cracker. Brush a light coat of olive oil and sprinkle the tops with a little dash of coarse salt.
- Transfer the parchment paper to a baking sheet and place in the freezer for 10 minutes while you repeat the same process for the other half.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Allow to cool completely on the baking sheet.
- Store in an air-tight container. Will be fresh for a couple of days.
RELATED: GF/Vegan Wheat Thins
I couldn’t believe the crunch that these crackers gave. Not to mention the cheesy flavor! Daiya, I didn’t give you enough credit, my friend. I take it all back. You really DO know how to make a delightful vegan cheese!
I give to you the perfect little snack.
These were literally gone within in an hour.