Calling all snackers: Am I alone in my deep love for Better Cheddars? Anyone even remember these round, cheesy, crunchy crackers? Better yet, do they even still sell these at the stores anymore??? I could really go for Vegan Better Cheddars right now.
I posed the question on Facebook last night, “What was your favorite childhood snack growing up?” and I got a big kick out of some of the answers:
But no Better Cheddars.
So I thought that I would have to do justice for these crackers
and spread the Better Cheddar gospel.
Think Cheez-Its but better (hence the name of the crackers).
Well, I’m not sure if I can say they were better, really.
It depended on my mood actually,
but what I did love most about Better Cheddars
was that crispy, burnt flavor that it had.
And coming from the girl who loves her food a little on the burnt side,
it was natural why I would gravitate towards them.
Better than Better Cheddars Recipe
Make approx 50 round crackers
- 1/2 c. Bob’s Red Mill All-Purpose flour
- 1/2 c. Daiya cheeze, cheddar flavor
- 2 Tbs Earth Balance, softened
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tb ice water
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In an electric mixer, combine butter and cheeze together until fully incorporated.
- Add flour, paprika, and salt into cheeze mixture. Combined with a wooden spoon until dough forms. Add ice water. This is make the dough form into a ball.
- Roll dough into a thin, thin layer between 2 pieces of wax paper. The thinner the better, really, because the crunchier they will be. Using a 1 1/2″-2″ round cookie cutter, cut out dough.
- Using a skewer, flat side, make 6 holes around the outer circle and 1 hole in the middle. Transfer to a cookie sheet and lightly sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until nicely browned around the edges.
It’s been years since I have had a Better Cheddar
but the homemade version,
especially the particularly thinner crackers,
packed that same cheezy, burnt crunch that I remembered so fondly.
So if you haven’t already answered the question (or if you have more to add)
I’d love to hear your answer to:
What are some of your favorite childhood snacks?
OH, AND BEFORE I FORGET!
REMEMBER THAT SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT I HAD FOR YOU???
YEAH, YOU HAVE TO WAIT ANOTHER DAY FOR IT…