Initially I had Goldfish crackers on the brain. I first attempted to recreate that fun treat in shape of bunnies for this upcoming holiday celebration but as we all know so well, sometimes our intentions don’t always work out the way we think they will. In fact, the texture and flavor of what these crackers eventually became I knew it needed an extra “Oompf.” Thus enters the coating of “cheezy” seasoning.
That flippin’ seasoning just makes these crackers special. Thank the kitchen gods above for turning intentions into new formulas because I am in love with this new direction these crackers took. And the bunnies approve too! (and you know what they say about getting the seal of approval from bunnies, don’t you?)…
You don’t? Well, me neither. Please note that these aren’t the same texture as Goldfish, either. These are more delicate in your mouth–they are almost meltable (which only makes you want to eat more–aaah, the best type of food!) Think a flaky pie crust. A cheezy, salty pie crust.
As said in the recipe directions, I buy my vegan cheeze by the block and then thinly grate it. That is how I am able to blend the heck out of it and get it to be obedient without getting too clumpy in the crackers. If you buy the shredded version you can still do the same. It just takes time and patience to show it who’s boss. Or just keep the clumps. Who cares, right? Tastes the same! But for the sake of photographing it, I like it to be as flawless as possible. Read: I am a perfectionist, photographs or not.
- ¼ c. superfine brown rice flour
- ¼ c. sorghum flour
- ¼ c. potato starch
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. xanthan gum
- 1 c. vegan “cheese,” shredded (my store carries a block of vegan cheese and I thinly grate it).
- 3 Tbsp. vegan butter, softened
- 1-2 Tbsp. ice water
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, beat vegan butter and cheeze together until blended nicely with a hand mixer. (Tip: If you want your vegan cheese to blend completely where minimal clumps are showing in your crackers, make sure it is at room temperature and just beat the crap out of it with your mixer and even the back of a fork. Show it who's the boss, friends).
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flours, starches, xanthan gum, and baking powder.
- Add the flour mixture into vegan butter/cheeze mix and beat until blended completely.
- Add water and stir in with a wooden spoon. If you need more water for a nice dough to form, add another tablespoon.
- Lightly knead and form two smooth balls. Chill for 15-20 minutes (optional--it just makes it a little easier to work with).
- With two pieces of parchment paper, roll out one of the balls until ¼" thick.
- Cut out with cookie cutter of choice (I used a mini bunny cutter that was 1-1½"). Place on the baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until lightly browned along the edges.
- Allow to cool slightly and then dip into seasoning (see instructions below).
- Repeat with the other dough ball.
- Blend together the ingredients for the seasoning in a small bowl. Dip crackers by the batches in the bowl and lightly coat.
Makes approx. 2 cups mini bunny crackers.
Happy Bunny Cracker making, friends!