To officially kick off my month long celebration of Halloween,
I thought I would start with a platter of:
This is the perfect starter for any Halloween party.
Gross out your guests as they feast on:
Yet as grossed as they might be, they will find these appetizers refreshingly delicious.
Never before have you heard your friends say,
“I am really enjoying the way these fingers taste!”
“I’m sticking with the brains!”
“I didn’t know eating eyeballs could be so good for you!”
(and hopefully this will be THE only time you hear it).
This platter is so easy to make too!
Here are the simple steps to follow:
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- Cucumber, sliced in big chunks, patted dry
- Green olive, sliced
- Tofutti cream cheese
- natural red food coloring (made from beets)
- Apply a glob of cream cheese in the middle of the cucumber and stick the olive on top.
- With a toothpick, carefully dip into food coloring to make lines that look like veins on the eyeballs.
- 1 bag baby carrots
- small cutting knife
Carefully use the knife to cut out 3 lines in the middle of the “finger” for knuckles and carve out a fingernail at the thinnest point of the carrot.
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets, patted dry
- natural red food coloring (beet-based)
- Using the toothpick, dip in coloring make squiggly lines for the brains.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 1 bag corn tortillas
- vegetable oil
If you have a tombstone cookie cutter, this will come in handy. I didn’t so I just hand carved out one and used it as my base.
- Cut out tombstones from the tortillas.
- Heat oil in skillet on medium heat until hot. Place tortillas, batches at a time, into skillet and cook for 5 minutes, or until crispy. Drain oil on a paper towel.
Place all your ingredients on a platter with a salsa-filled skull bowl and enjoy!