I’m taking a step back from Halloween posts (*gasp* – a girl can’t live off of Halloween foods…well, she can but she shouldn’t…) to talk about a particular vegetable that is all the craze these days: Kale.
I’m not the biggest fan of kale. I feel like I should be because it’s all people have been talking about but truth be told, things like steamed kale does absolutely nothing for me. I mean, I scratch my head at people who say that kale chips satisfy their salty chip cravings. Nooooooo, salty potato chips satisfy that craving. Am I the only one?
I hate giving up on foods though–maybe that is the neurotic in me but because of it, I have found several ways to eat kale that even the non-kale lover will love that I am excited to share. This creamed kale recipe is by far my favorite way to eat this leafy green. Plus it’s drenched in a cauliflower “cream” sauce so nothing not only is it super tasty, there is nothing about it that is bad for you. It’s the perfect detox food after indulging in potato chips…or Halloween candy…
Gluten, egg, dairy-free, Paleo, Vegan
- 6 c. kale (thick stems cut out, cut in small chunks)
- 1 c. cauliflower
- 3/4 c. non-dairy milk
- 1 Tb vegan butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/2 tsp, salt
- Lightly steam kale by placing in a medium saucepan with 1 Tb water. Cover and steam over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Using the same saucepan, place cauliflower and 1 c. water inside, cover and bring to a boil. Steam for 5 minutes and drain the water.
- Place steamed cauliflower into a blender with 3/4 c. non-dairy milk. Blend until smooth. Add milk by 1 Tb if it’s still too thick. Remember that this is replacing heavy cream so you don’t want it to be runny but a thick heavy cream-like consistency. Place 1/2 tsp salt and lightly blend.
- In a skillet, heat butter and sauté garlic and shallots until translucent (2 minutes or so).
- Add kale to the skillet and allow it to heat up again. Throw in the cauliflower “cream” and stir until the kale is completely coated.
- Season with salt and pepper if you desire.
- Serving Size: 2